Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scared In Canada! Do I have AIDS?
      #157694 - 07/24/05 05:49 PM

Hello all!

I have a host of symptoms that I have developed recently (since March) which are not going away. I have been 'unwell' for over 3 months. Doctors have done many tests and all appear to be normal. I had several STD tests done including HIV/AIDS test which came back negative (however, a sheet indicating the negative result did not arrive. My doctors nurse had to phone down and give my id number to get the result.). This has me quite concerned that the lab mixed up results...though not too sure.

Symptoms include: fogginess, blurred vision at times with many floaters, white stuff along my gums and tongue, a bit of white tongue, spots on my body, and a general fatigue factor. Does this sound like HIV/AIDS to you? Should I get re-tested? What do people think? If someone is in the same situation as me, I would like to talk. I am quite concerned as I was normally quite a healthy person. This was my first ever HIV/AIDS test done. I have been sexually active for ovre 4 years (gay male).

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
Re: Scared In Canada! Do I have AIDS? new
      #157753 - 07/26/05 10:53 AM

None of the symptoms you mentioned are specific to HIV. They could be caused by a million things. A doctor ought to be able to look at those body-spots and the white tongue and tell whether there's any reason for concern.

That said, there are two things to keep in mind re. your HIV test. One, you did not mention the timing of your test. For the most reliable results you need to wait three months since your last sexual contact. Also, you didn't mention your risk factors -- if you've only participated in low- or no-risk activities, you obviously have less to worry about.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157789 - 07/26/05 04:50 PM

My last sexual encounter was at the beginning of January...I had a HIV test done in mid-April. I added the weeks up and it turned out to be 13+weeks.

As for my sexual behaviour, which I can't say I am proud of, it includes multiple partners (likely 20). Mostly it was oral sex without a condom. 12 times was anal sex (3 times with no condom being the receptive male...however, penetration lasted a few seconds until I knew it wasn't a good idea...no ejaculation).

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #157792 - 07/26/05 06:20 PM

Well, 13 weeks should be a reliable test. I believe the Canadian guidelines suggest a 3-month window period. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.) The CDC in the states says that a very few people could take longer to seroconvert, but it's HIGHLY unlikely.

Here's what I would do. I would get your body-spots and tongue coating looked at by a doctor. And I would test again, just because you have been involved in some risky activities (specifically those 3 brief bouts of unprotected anal). At this late date another test ought to put your mind completely at ease. (And the thing to remember about testing is that it's ALWAYS better to KNOW, one way or the other.)

Odds are overwhelming that you'll still be negative, and if the doc thinks those other problems are nothing serious, you'll be able to relax.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#159489 - 09/02/05 08:19 PM

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/aunknownstdviralillness/

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1633

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3