Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

How Reliable is a 3 Month Test?
      #157549 - 07/20/05 08:44 PM

Hello,

I tested negitive at 3 months, however, I have persistant symtpoms that are very strange for my body. I won't go into detail on these symptoms but they are all to be HIV related. My doctor has diagnosed me with them, and has offered medicine for all of them. How reliable is this 3 month test? Should I be getting retested, or should I just assume that the symptoms are as a result of something else? It is so confusing with this 3 month vs 6 month testing window. I just want to be able to put this behind me and move on; I just don't want to ignore it if there is a possibility that I may be infected. My main concern is the neuropathy, persistaant body rash on face and chest (it is like acne, but very itchy and bleeds easily), and persistant yeast infections. I have never had any of these symptoms or health concerns in the past. They have all developed within the past month. Do people ever test positive after 3 months? Thank you for your opinions and your help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
_tylox99_
Regular

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: MA
Re: How Reliable is a 3 Month Test? new
      #157552 - 07/20/05 09:04 PM

Virtually 100% accurate. HIV can also really be diagnosed by doing bloodwork (CD4, Viral Load, or the diagnostic tests that you took, etc.)

Using symptoms to diagnose should not be done with HIV since most of the symptoms are very general and associated with potentially other issues. For example the neuropathy, rashes, and yeast infections you describe are also signs of diabetes. Not saying you have diabetes, but just showing that they, even altogether, are very general.

Good luck to you

--------------------
Words are, of course, the most potent drug used by mankind.

jake_the_shake
All Star

Reged: 12/07/04
      #157555 - 07/20/05 09:08 PM

HIV is a virus, it's not a sneak-attack, it's not a ghost, and it's not a punishment. Its behaviour has been studied by the finest doctors in the world. They have concluded, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that all healthy individuals will test poz by week 12 (and that's WAY passed when most will test poz).

Have you had an organ transplant recently? Do you have a taste for heroin? If you answered no to those to questions, then your 3 month test is more than sufficient.

You are healthy. Be happy. Live. Love. Eat. Drink. Suck out the marrow of life, it wasn't meant to be lived staring at the dull glow of a monitor while fretting a phantom illness.

Go. Live.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157556 - 07/20/05 09:09 PM

Worked with your doctor to determine the real cause of your symptoms. You are not infected. A 3 month test is extremely reliable....over 99%. Certainly more reliable than trying to match non-specific symptoms (there are NO specific symptoms that will point to HIV) to determine your status. Most people that are infected test positive by 6 weeks...so the 3 month test would catch any outliers.

You can bank on your results. Find out what else is up with you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157559 - 07/20/05 09:43 PM

Thank you all for responding. I was tested for diabetes etc, and all my blood tests came back fine, that's why I was thinking that maybe it was HIV and that my body had not seroconverted because of all the stress I have been under. If there wasn't such a variance in the window period then I wouldn't have second guessed my results. The lady at the clinic told me to come back in another 3 months to do the 6 month test. It would help if it was standardized all over the world. In any case, thank you all for your responses. I am not a drug user or have had any organ transplants, so I guess I am out in the clear :) Thanks again. Have a great night!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10341

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3