Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about other std's?
      #157365 - 07/16/05 01:57 PM

I'm just wondering about hiv in relation to other std's. If someone was afraid that they may have been exposed to hiv but contracted no other std's should they be less worried? Is hiv the least common of all the std's? Perhaps people should start worrying about the other std's first and protect against them and then perhaps hiv wouldn't be a concern. Or is it false to assume that since someone is free from other std's that their chances of having hiv is less?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jake_the_shake

Reged: 12/07/04
Re: What about other std's? new
      #157383 - 07/16/05 07:49 PM

the only way to know that you don't have HIV is to test negative for HIV 4-6 weeks (thought the CDC says 13) after your last unsafe (unprotected vaginal or anal) encounter.

That being said, bacterial STDs (esp chlamydia and gonorrhea) blow HIV away for annual transmission - if I'm not mistaken, chlamydia cases last year outnumbered the US's entire national history of HIV cases. Something close to one million clym cases in 2004.

So to answer one of your questions, yes HIV is one of the least common STDs. Also, the precence of a bacterial STD (in either partner) can facilitate the transmission of HIV, so if you didn't get another STD, the case could be made that you're less likley to have transmitted HIV. This is b/c HIV often "latches-on" to a baterial STD (esp clym, syph and gonn) to get itself into a system.

If you didn't contract one of the lesser nasties, the liklihood that you'll have contracted HIV, decreases.

Be safe, use condoms for anal/vaginal, don't shoot drugs. You'll never get HIV

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157675 - 07/23/05 06:17 PM

The fact is that most other STD's are curable.....especially the bacterial ones....the viral ones not, such as Herpes and HIV. So I am unclear about your question? HIV will and is rapidly growing without a cure....Have you read the news lately? I think more attention needs to looked at as HIV is the most life threatening the others are not.
What was the purpose behind your questions...really?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157696 - 07/24/05 07:20 PM

Obviously all STD's need to be addressed. In response to hiv "latching" on to other STD's which can increase transmission. by this rational, theoretically if you simply kiss a hiv infected person who has oral sores or chlaymidia (i.e) which then passes orally, then there is a good chance of passing on hiv orally through kissing?? or does saliva and mouth to mouth transmission not occur? The CDC says this is a risk. others do not. Any input??

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158008 - 08/01/05 03:15 PM

The thing you should look at is how many DOCUMENTED cases of HIV transmisstion through these activities. In mixed status couples, HIV has NEVER been transmitted through kissing. If they have lots of open sores you wouldn't be kissing them.

sadface
Veteran

Reged: 02/15/06
      #198853 - 07/05/06 09:45 AM

I feel you should look at every individual you are sexually active with as having Hiv and Std's..you just do not know. Take precausions and you will prevail! Sex can be mind blowng, as long as you are careful and KNOW your status..don't ever assume.
SF

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2358

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3