Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help needed on haircut problem.
      #157284 - 07/15/05 02:39 AM

Today I had hair cut, and I got one small cut on my neck by the hair dresser's razor. I asked the hair dresser if he disinfected the razor before he used it on me, he said no. He said the razor was only simply washed by water after each customer's usage. But he also told me that I was the first customer using that razor today, which means that the last customer using this same razor was at least 12 hours ago. I am still very scared. My question is, what is the chances to get infected with HIV if the previous customer got cut and his blood was on the razor, then the hair dresser used the same razor on me after 12 hours? Does the hiv virus still alive after being exposed to air for 20 hours in the blood? please help. Thanks and best regards.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveR
Unregistered

Re: Help needed on haircut problem. new
      #157306 - 07/15/05 01:14 PM

HIV doesn't survive very long outside the body. I can't imagine there's any risk here. (But tell the barber to use soap when he washes his razors!)

_tylox99_
Regular

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: MA
      #157317 - 07/15/05 04:42 PM

Insanely small risk yes, but I would go to a new barber myself. He is breaking at least MA law, and I assume it's law in other states as well.

From the MA Law
(5) Sterilization--All razors, scissors, clippers, tweezers, combs, rubber discs, parts of a vibrator, and all other implements, tools, appliances and utensils that come in contact with the head, neck or face of a patron, shall be disinfected before use upon any patron and, thereafter, before use on another patron. No tools/implements shall be left exposed on the workstand at any time but shall be cleaned, disinfected and placed in a clean, closed drawer or cabinet whenever such tools are not in use or in the process of being sterilized.

They even go into how they should be sterilized.

Get a new barber and don't worry :)

--------------------
Words are, of course, the most potent drug used by mankind.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157327 - 07/16/05 03:10 AM

Thanks for your response. By the way, what's the proper way to sterilize the blade? Is scrub using cotton pad soaked with iodine for several seconds enough?

spiritzone2
Grand Master

Reged: 06/24/05
Loc: PORTLAND ROCKS !!
      #157339 - 07/16/05 05:11 AM

OH for hell sakes, lighten up !! The virus lives in the blood (+ other LIVE fluids) When blood {+ other LIVE fluids} are outside of the body for FOUR {4} minutes,they die. The HIV virus dies with it. However, i would be quite concerned about HEP C because the HEP C virus is oh, so much more easier to get than HIV + lives for weeks . . .But in the case of the eltcRAZOR nick, you are absolutely safe.

--------------------
OUR FOCUS DETERMINES OUR REALITY.

_tylox99_
Regular

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: MA
      #157352 - 07/16/05 09:58 AM

Not that it matters much and I apologize for hijacking the thread but according to MA law...

(a) One of the following methods of sanitizing shall be used on all implements:

PHYSICAL AGENTS

-Boiling water at 212° fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
-Steaming, dry heat.
-70% grain or denatured alcohol for at least ten minutes.
-Ultra violet rays in an electrical sanitizer.

CHEMICAL AGENTS

-Antiseptics and disinfectants.
-Vapors, formalin and steri/dry.
-One part bleach to ten parts water to sterilize cutting implements. The method to be used is as follows: Rinse the implement in water first, immerse the implement in the bleach solution, shake the implement in the bleach solution, repeat the rinse/immerse/shake process described, rinse the implement in water a final time, then wipe the implement dry with a clean cloth or paper towel and place in a closed cabinet or disinfectant solution. This procedure applies to plastic, metal, steel or rubber. This procedure is the recommended infection control procedure of the Centers for Disease Control regarding all blood borne pathogens, including HIV infection/AIDS.

PS, Not a barber I just have too much time on my hands

tylox99

--------------------
Words are, of course, the most potent drug used by mankind.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2846

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3