Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Debtex please help!!!
      #156343 - 06/20/05 05:56 PM

Hi there,
I had a low risk exposure 2 months ago. Just little oral sex (insertive and receptive), few seconds, no cum. The problem was this: the next day appeared a ulcer on my face, near my mouth, like a chancroid. I was going to see the dermatologist but it went away before I could see him. 15 days after the low exposure, a papiloma wart appeared on my peanest very fast (i didnt have anal sex, just frottage, mutual masturbation). 23 days after the exposure i had a negative ELISA 3rd generation. But, three days later i started with pain in my armpits, then pharyngitis, high fever, rash in my butt, ichty skin, problem with my gums, swollen noes in my neck, fatigue, etc. 50 days after the exposure I had a negative DNA PCR. I was so sure i was infected. Now, Im waiting for the second ELISA, that was performed on june 16 (65 days after the exposure) and I will have the results next thursday.
1) Do you think that the PCR is a good sign? (90% of gay men are B subtype here)
2) Do you know about false negative results of a DNA PCR test (50 days after the exposure)?
3) If my strong ARS synthomps were almost 25 days ago, my ELISA should come positive by now if Im infected?
4) Could Streptococus have caused all this? My doctor found it in my throat.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
Re: Debtex please help!!! new
      #156346 - 06/20/05 10:02 PM

HI,

Appreciate your asking for my help. First off, I do beleive the pcr test would have shown something after 50 days, but you said you had a 50 day elisa? I would feel confident with that. Now a 65 day elisa waiting on results, feel pretty confident that you are ok, especially after your 50 day elisa results.
BUT.....have you been checked for other std's as well, like gonnorhea, chlamydia, and stuff. If your talking about oral, and had cancer sores in your mouth, there are std's that you can catch orally, so perhaps you start off with a sore throat, and other symptoms of hiv, then get nervous about hiv and start to notice other symptoms. (and who knows, they could have existed before, but never really an issue, becuase you knew you were fine). But alot of the symptoms are changes in your body, which you could also get from contracting an std.
I would feel confidnet about your 50 hiv test, but please be sure you have been tested for everything else as well.

and I wish you well, and relax, you will be fine (especially about the hiv thing), but put yourself at ease and test for the others too.....the good thing is.....there is treatment (or cures) for most of these. other than perhaps herpes, and stuff.

Love and prayers,
deb

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156350 - 06/21/05 08:32 AM

No I had DNA PCR test at 50 days. Then a ELISA at 65 days. But Im still waiting for the results.

debtex
Legend

#156360 - 06/21/05 05:43 PM

Yes, strep could have caused these symptoms. you will only have to wait 2 more days. Relax, your exposure was so low, you will be fine. There could have been a number of other things (maybe even herpes) that caused the cankers in your mouth.
Please try and take it easy for the next two days, you will really worry yourself with every symptom, just thinking about it.

I will pray for you (I will pray that you make it thru these next 2 days okay, becuase I know you will be fine).

Please keep me posted on how you are okay!!?? and when you say a negative DNA PCR...are you talking about a "viral load" test?? becuase that would not show undetectable if you were infected.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156362 - 06/21/05 06:09 PM

No, it was DNA PCR, a qualitative test. The one that looks for the HIV, not measure the viral load. Ive read that are very very rare the false-negative results. But I was so sure I was infected. All the synthomps were really strong. Im not the typical worried well, i had fever, rash on my butt, pharyngitis, giant tonsils, swollen nodes in my neck, extreme weight loss in that week, fatigue.
Im anxious but calm too. If I have it... ok, I will have to deal with it...
Thank you DEBTEX very much for everything you wrote!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156383 - 06/22/05 08:51 AM

A NEG. DNA/PCR test @ 50 days is as good as it gets period. You do not have HIV. If you had strep it would cause alot of your symtoms. Get a full STD screening even though your exposure was nothing it will make you feel bette. Forget about all the what if's you do not have HIV. D.J.

debtex
Legend

#156387 - 06/22/05 04:31 PM

You are very sweet. Please relax, this is test # 2....just a confirmation of test #1. So, you've really gone thru the hard part. One more day of this torture, I wish I could help you to relax about it, as much as you think I help you to understand or get thru this.
Please be more cautios in the future, everyone should take the "waiting period" as a stepping stone to never want to put themselves thru that worry again.
I promised myself the 2 weeks I was waiting for my results, that I swear to talk about sex and safe sex in the future with any other partners. I would do it right....
..... but the results really gave me no choice.
Take care, and please....PLEASE write tomorrow when you hear.

love and prayers,
deb

debtex
Legend

#156388 - 06/22/05 04:53 PM

and I'm sorry for the confusion on the "PCR" test. I am just so used to seeing people do an ELISA or a Western Blot. our anonymous clinic does not run dna pcr tests? (I just know when I see pcr, its with results regarding to their viral load.
but after 4 wks, your pcr would be accurate.
Good luck till tomorrow.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1981

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads 6.2.3