Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
joeyjojo8
New User

Reged: 01/06/01
Cover Story Time Magazine
      #15558 - 02/11/01 10:35 PM

I just finished reading the article in Time magazine about AIDS in Africa. Good God! It's not like I didn't know the numbers and all that but what's troubling is peoples attitudes there (and here) about HIV positive people. That's the real tragedy about this disease. People don't get a break! Not from themselves or the people in society.
Ignorance is the real problem and stupid male dominated social values. Women are beaten if they want the man to use a condom. The same thing happens in Asia too and elsewhere.
God it makes me angry! I want to slap someone for being stupid. The problem with this world, is there isn't enough common sense!!!! That isn't just AIDS it's everything. People should stick to logic and FACTS. It's no different here. My mother tells me "don't go outside, you'll catch a cold". I try to tell to keep up on current events! I remember in junior high kids saying "if you take a shower before sex you won't get a girl pregnant" God, is this world full of morons or what! Sorry, this article's got me going!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ex_Male_Slut

Reged: 11/02/00
Re: Cover Story Time Magazine new
      #15565 - 02/12/01 05:10 AM

Yes, I agree with you, having worked formerly (in my previous job) with a few South Africans, I know that they generally have serious attitude problems. I have been impressed by the occasional South African but generally they're very self-obsessed, believe the rest of the world is sub-ordinate to them and have a disgusting attitude toward women. They tolerate a staggeringly high incidence of rape in their society because of the cultural issues you mentioned.

I remember being invited to a barbecue one evening by one of these former co-workers and realised he was a great deal worse than I first thought - his wife clearly cowered in fear of him - he ordered her around like she was a slave, she literally feared him, it was so obvious. After that I just treated him with the contempt he deserved - the guy was an ass-hole.

They're not all like that and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt initially but most of them are and many other people I have talked to, have had similar experiences with them.

I think folly in high places, goes by unchecked because of complacency and apathy. Did you notice that much of the relief aid to India has been delayed in its transport to the refugees of the recent earth-quake because of lax freight management some of it may not show up at all. They even have a caste hierarchy in the refugee camp.

Again, the increase in unprotected sex through-out the world despite the knowledge of aids and what it can do. People reason that HIV can be treated now so that some-how makes it OK in their eyes. Same for cigarette smokers - they know it causes emphysema, cancer & heart disease but they'll do it any-way.

Sadly, we all to often make the mistake of thinking with our feelings or emotions rather than logic.

Regards
EMS

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 997

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3