Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

would dentist know
      #15525 - 02/10/01 01:02 AM

i went to the dentist the other day because i have been noticing a band around my gumline a almost red color and it has been going on for about a yr the dentist looked and said i had marginal gingivitis would he be able to tell for sure if this was hiv related gingivitis i take very good care of my teeth so i dont understand how i could have gingivitis unless hiv was causing this would i only show this or would there other syptoms at the same time i was tested 3 yrs ago and i was neg and i have had no other exposures but i am always having mouth problems different things for about 4 yrs could someone please help

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: would dentist know new
      #15527 - 02/10/01 09:56 AM

Ahhh the Red Band Gingivitis guy, right?

OK, the dentist said it was just Gingivitis. You don't see how since you take care of your teeth, but then say you have had mouth problems for the last 4 years, so....how is it so hard to accept that you might just have Plain Jane Gingivitis? You tested negative 3 years ago. No new exposures so....you are negative.

You come to the board to ask us what we think, well we are not dentists and we are not doctors. All we can go on are the facts that you give us.

As had been said before it is hard to tell the two apart, unless you are a dentist. You have now been to the dentist.

If you are so worried that it might be HIV, then talk to your doctor and get another test, which I think is probably a waste of money, but if it will finally put this issue at rest for you then it isn't. If that doesn't help, then see a counselor.

Good Luck
J.

babyruth
Fanatic

Reged: 01/09/01
Re: would dentist know new
      #15528 - 02/10/01 10:09 AM

Your dentist should be able to recommend you an HIV antibody test if you really need it, but if you don't feel comfortable with what he told you, then go and see an other dentist, only a professional would determinate the causes of your symptoms.

Besides you tested negative 3 years ago (i believe, that test was at least 3 months after last exposure) and you were not exposed after that, based on that i don't think that your problem could be HIV related, but could be something else and you need to find out.

Good luck and God Bless.

R.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2036

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3