Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
KitG
Expert

Reged: 01/15/01
HIV neg at 6 months. LOADS OF SYMPTOMS !
      #14711 - 01/15/01 08:19 AM

Great to find this site. I want to know: Is there anyone on this forum who is going through the same thing as me, with a six months negative antibody test and a whole load of symptoms? Hereís the story:

Following a one-off unsafe sex encounter in July 2000, I came down with what seemed like ARS a few weeks later: fever, rash, sweating, anorexia, diarrhoea, you name it! I know a lot of these symptoms can be stress-related but obviously I was concerned about HIV, so I went for an antibody test, which was negative.

The symptoms subsided, but I was then left with a constant swollen, burning feeling in neck, armpits and groin which lasted about eight weeks. I still tested negative and my glands were checked out by docs who said they werenít swollen.

After a three month negative test they said ďno more testingĒ and advised me to see the mental health professionals, because they thought I had OCD, depression, anxiety and phobia! I didnít agree with the diagnoses because the only reason I kept going back to test was the pain throughout my lymph node system. I was keen to keep an open mind though, so I went along with them and Iíve now been in therapy and on meds for three months.

So Iím calm now, in control of myself and not stressed out all the time or anything like that. The problem is though that some symptoms are ongoing. In particular, my glands still feel uncomfortable all the time, I have chronic loose stools/diarrhoea, I have an ongoing minor yeast infection in my mouth and I feel generally tired, fatigued and malaise virtually all the time.

I have had tests to rule out virtually everything, and all these tests have come back normal.

Eventually, I decided to track down the other person from the encounter. When I eventually did so, it turns out sheís been in hospital three or four times since our encounter, with meningitis, pneumonia, and something else. Sheís also tested negative for HIV.

So itís obvious somethingís going on here. What it is I donít know. As you can expect, Iíve had to research a lot myself and to me the only thing that it seems it could be is HIV, either a new strain or delayed seroconversion. Itís NOT stress or mental illness and I donít believe thereís some new and unidentified virus or disease out there, because I think we would have heard of it before.

Is there anyone else going through this specific situation? Iím not talking about worried well, but about people who have genuinely had unexplained problems similar to these, which seem HIV related but antibody tests are constantly negative. I sure could do with some support here, because before long I genuinely will go mad!

I donít want to freak anyone out. The vast majority of people should be happy with their three month negative as long as they have no symptoms, or if their symptoms can be explained away by stress or cold/flu etc. I know I would have been.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV neg at 6 months. LOADS OF SYMPTOMS ! new
      #14725 - 01/15/01 02:43 PM

What ever it is, it is not HIV. The fact that you and the girl tested negative are proof of that. It is impossible to think that there are two rare exceptions, and they just happen to be you and the other girl that you had sex with. Did you test for any other types of sexually transmitted diseases?

KitG
Expert

#14728 - 01/15/01 04:57 PM

Many thanks for responding to my post. Yes, I've tested for all the STD's, as well as every CBC/virology test I could think of. All negative.

The thing that bothers me is I've seen one or two posts, not on here but on the Body's expert forums, where couples have become infected and have been late seroconverters. Which suggests to me that maybe there's an HIV type, or a transmission route, which goes against the normal 25 day average, three month max limit.

The other thing that bothers me is that I've had five months of physical malaise, with oral thrush, glandular discomfort and chronic diarrhoea, whilst unbeknown to me, the other person has meningitis, pneumonia and god knows what else besides (I only spoke to her for five minutes or so, so I couldn't get a complete picture of her health).

I pray to God its not HIV. From what I've read, I agree it doesn't sound like HIV. But the fact is that two previously healthy people here are physically unwell after a sexual encounter and no-one can say what's caused it!

If it's not HIV, then what is it? The medical profession has no answers. That's one of the most frightening things of all

Anonymous
Unregistered

#14729 - 01/15/01 05:36 PM

Back the cart up....
you stated that "two previously well people are now having symptoms after a sexual encounter and no-one can say what caused it"
if you were "both" well there wouldn't / shouldn't be a concern. You aren't thinking you infected each other? are you? also if you could please link me to the late conversion couple posts I am interested in reading it.
thanks.
call me confused

KitG
Expert

#14740 - 01/15/01 07:27 PM

Sure thing!

I haven't got all the relevant posts to hand, but for starters, you could look at the following:

Slow Virus??? - JC (October 20, 1998)
http://www.thebody.com/cgi/treat_ans/10103Slo.html

This was posted in the Treatment Forum on the Body's website.

To save you time, I'll post the whole text:

"Question:
I seroconverted at nine months and found out because unfortunately I tested negative at six months and gave it to my girlfriend who also took 7 months to seroconvert. In turn, the person who infected me says she took over six months to seroconvert. Is this a statistical aberration, a slow evolving virus, or what????

Response:
The data says 99+ % will seroconvert by 6 months- how often were you tested? This does seem like an outlier- and strange that the same thing happened to contacts. I am not aware of anything that correlates time to seroconversion and the rapidity of infection. If you are in a city where someone is studying primary or recent HIV infections perhaps they could learn something about your virus? Sorry not to have more insight into thie scenario.

-Judith Currier, M.D."

To me, this shows that the leading experts on HIV/AIDS really don't have much of a clue about the reasons behind late seroconversion. I'm not criticising them, after all we're talking about an aggressive mutating virus, which has only been identified for eighteen years or so. How long have we known about the common cold? And how much do we know about it?

Re: your other question. No, I don't think we infected each other. Obviously, there's an incubation period and the fact is that people are at their most infectious soon after infection. My theory (fingers crossed I'm wrong!) is that she infected me. I come to this conclusion because I was previously sexually inactive, all my problems started after our encounter, and she's the one who's had meningitis, pneumonia, and other things, even though she's in her 20's and was previously seemingly healthy.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to respond.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Your Right...... new
      #14741 - 01/15/01 07:43 PM

We don't know as much about HIV as we think. And no one know's what causes seroconversion to be delayed. Some studies have shown co-infections to slow down or speed up the process. From what I have been able to find, it doesn't have so much to do with a person's health as it does the virus that person is infected with.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Your Right...... new
      #14742 - 01/15/01 08:36 PM

could also be his girlfriend infected him and not the other way around.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#14744 - 01/15/01 08:50 PM

This is one of the most debated posts that has ever been printed even the Doctor seems doubtful in her response.
the reasons being are many.
A) you have to take his word as to when and how he was infected.
B) the girlfriend may or may not have taken 7 months as again we are at the word only with no mention of any condom useage or their sexual habits.

there are many questions left unasked and/or unanswered in that post but am glad you are taking the time to try to help yourself.
Also you will notice that post is over two years old many more surveys and studies have been done since then with a greater accuracy then ever before as a result we know alot more then ever about hiv in regards to conversion and transmission.
The odds are in your favor you are fine, take solstice in that . get tested and be safe.

anonymos
Unregistered

The Real REASON new
      #14745 - 01/15/01 08:57 PM

Either this person had more encounters. 2. Doesn't know the time of exposure. 3. That story is BS because it includes 3 cases of seroconversion after 6 months and I don't even think there have been that many. So cut the crap and look for reasons why you're not infected rather than why you are. You're not rare bud so get over it. It sounds like you're in danger of becoming one of those people who will ruin their lives and test for the rest of your life. DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4658

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3