Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
golfguy

Reged: 01/04/01
Neuropathy?
      #14610 - 01/09/01 04:32 PM

Hi,

I posted before and have really been trying to calm my anxiety....but it's really getting bad.

I'm about 6 weeks post exposure and had a negative ELISA at 5 weeks post exposure.

However, over the last 24 hours I've developed a significant numbness/tingling in my face (left side), my left arm, left hand, left leg and foot. In addition, it feels like my heels are on fire.

I'm freaking out...I've read that peripheral neuropathy can present during ARS....

Does anyone know if I'm on target here? I really haven't experienced any other symptoms...not really true, I've had a bad stomach on and off since Dec. 1 (date of exposure), headaches and backaches (which I attribute to stress)...

I'm really having trouble with this...any thoughts?

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JTAnon
Unregistered

Re: Neuropathy? new
      #14612 - 01/09/01 05:20 PM

GolfGuy,

The numbness, tingling, burning, etc. can DEFINITELY be caused by stress. Been there and done that. Went to a neurologist one time convinced that I had MS. Majorly freaked out during a stressful time in my life. They performed every test known to man only to tell me I was suffering from stress related anxiety....hang in there.

Take comfort in your 5 week negative and talk with us....frequently. only 7 more weeks until your out of the woods with testing.

God Bless.

JTAnon

Anonymous
Unregistered

#14615 - 01/09/01 06:18 PM

Yes, this can certainly be related to stress. I had problems with numbness in my left arm at night and also tingling in my fingers. It went away though!

TexGal
Master

Reged: 11/21/00
      #14632 - 01/10/01 10:11 AM

Stress will definitely put your body through some major changes!! I had those same symptoms too until I started taking anti-anxiety meds and seeing a counselor. And then, to my surprise...all gone.

Like JT said, 7 more weeks and you're out of the woods. In the meantime, try to take comfort in your 5 week negative. To quote the GMHC, they feel that 90%-95% of persons infected will show positive in the first month on the standard 3rd generation elisa test. You may also want to consider being tested for all other STD's and get a hep panel as well so that you can truly put everything behind you at 3 months!

Best of luck to you and remember...we are here when you want to vent.

Tex

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1818

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3