Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mono vs. HIV
      #141891 - 05/03/05 10:10 AM

I am female and have given unprotected oral sex 4 times and have had unprotected vaginal sex repeatedly with the same person (who refuses to get tested b/c he says he doesn't have HIV although he has had a colorful past, how does he know). Anyway I had a severe sore throat and went to the dr. and I tested positive for mono and oral herpes HSV1 which was causing the severe sore throat. I'm still concerned with HIV. I read an article that said HIV can cause a false positive on a mono test. Is it possible that I have HIV and not mono. I questioned the dr. and she said no that the mono test came back positive and she wouldn't even discuss it. You would think that since I also contracted Herpes it would be a possibility. Am I overreacting? I also read that mono could possibly cause a false positive on an HIV test so now I don't want to get tested because I'm worried about a false positive. I just noticed yesterday that I have a small very dark spot on the inside of my cheek, could that be HIV related? I'm concerned about HIV because I've been told that you can't get mono twice and I had it as a child. Anyone have any opinions?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Mono vs. HIV new
      #144274 - 05/08/05 07:33 AM

You need to get tested before you worry yourself silly with all of this! You can either get a home access test and have your results in a few days or just go to a local heath department and possibly do a rapid test and know in 20 minutes. As far as this guy not testing, hope you don't plan on sleeping with him anymore if he has NO respect for your wishes. HIV is real and it doesn't matter what he THINKS his status is......find out yours(making sure it is 3 months past the last unprotected episode) and send him a packin' if he can't get tested himself!! Best of luck to you .
P.S. I think it is highly likely that mono is mono. Don't focus on the sypmtoms, just take a test. Otherwise, you will keep going in circles with "what ifs"

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2602

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3