Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

By far the best question about the window period.
      #14041 - 12/20/00 04:36 PM

This is a very recent one, took from thebody.com.
3 months is enough.
Read on...

Question:
I believe I've asked the question about my testing about 3 times and it has gone unaswered. I think it may be me since I've asked other questions as well. I've had 3 negative Elisa tests the latest being 14 weeks. Exposure, broken condom/vaginal intercourse. Accurate negative? I ask this as I continue to stress out. Thank you for reading this and I hope you may respond.

Ryan Kull's Response:
Many questions similar to yours have been answered on this forum. An HIV antibody test is considered accurate by many sources when three months have elapsed since possible exposure. Please read through recently answered questions to see how I've responded to similar questions.

Getting an HIV antibody test once every three months is very frequent and not recommended unless you are at high risk for infection. Waiting three months since an exposure is a long time to wait for testing, but it is the least costly and most accurate method available to the general public. If you are using the antibody test to ease your anxiety during the window period, I would suggest that you seek alternative methods to deal with your anxiety. Getting tested more that once every three months may become impractical over time.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: By far the best question about the window period. new
      #14070 - 12/21/00 01:13 PM

Is it just the best question because of it's answer? I've been very often here and all of us hope that a one week negative test means that we are also negative at the end of the 6 month's ride, or is it 3 month? I'm now at 22 weeks after exposure, I'll wait another week before testing. Next year I'll see my doctor for the results, I've had a 16 weeks negative, but the longer you wait the better the result (or not). I know it's a hard time to wait, but 23 weeks negative should me give more hope than the 16th week test. I agree with PVS when he says that you have to do the thing where you are comfortable with, some people stop testing after 12 weeks negative, I don't. But that's my decision and I respect the people that take comfort in a 12weeks negative. Excuse me for my bad english.....

Jonathan.

PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
      #14075 - 12/21/00 02:40 PM

Jonathan, goodluck on your upcoming test. You had a 16 week negative which is an excellent indicator of your status. Seal the deal at 23 weeks and let us know how it went. == PVS

Anonymous
Unregistered

#14094 - 12/21/00 03:34 PM

Yes, but, by all medical resources in the whole World, except from the CDC, 12 weeks is not just a good indicator, but a CONCLUSIVE RESULT. People get a grip, it cant be possible that all the world is wrong and only the CDC is right.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1330

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3