Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blood Donation Question
      #139569 - 04/02/05 06:11 PM

Hi, Everyone. I recently had a somewhat high-risk exposure. I'm a gay male and I was having insertive anal sex (I was the "top" or "insertive" partner). well, at some point the condom broke. i was very worried. I had just tested and so I knew I was negative before this event. However, the guy I was with told me that he had not been tested in a year, but that all of his encounters had been protected. well, coincidentally, he had an appointment at the hospital 5 days later to donate blood.

Well, he donated blood on monday and they told him that they would contact him in a week if there were any problems. well, they haven't contacted him at all. so, that's a very good sign, isn't it? i mean, if he donated blood then surely they would have tested it for HIV. i know nothing is 100% accurate...but the fact that I was negative before the event, and now he gave blood and hasn't been contacted...so, that's a very good sign. i know the tests can't detect recent infections, but assuming he hasn't been with anyone (which i believe he has not) in the past few months, then i should be fine, right?

anyway, thanks for listening.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
Re: Blood Donation Question new
      #139581 - 04/03/05 12:17 AM

From what you are saying, yes you should be fine. If you still have any unanswered fears get tested again just to ease your mind. Take care.

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Blood Donation Question new
      #139621 - 04/04/05 02:20 AM

Hi,
there are two issues here. First, HIV-testing is not considered accurate before 3 months have passed after last risky exposure. 5 days or 10 days or 25 days is usually too short to reach any valid conclusion on HIV-status. A negative RNA-PCR, which is applied to blood donations, is a good sign, but not conclusive. Second, this guy´s behavior when it comes to donating blood is worrisome. He is breaking regulations banning gay men from donation; and more importantly, he is donating way into what we call the "window period" when tests can be negative while the donor is infected. Most blood banks have a one year donation quarantine after being involved in possible exposures (and with that they mean virtually any sex with any new partner). You should talk to him about this; his choice to break these regulations may put blood recipients´ health in danger.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1337

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3