Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
AnonymousGuy
Unregistered

Symptoms over time? Need advice.
      #135394 - 03/03/05 08:15 PM

Hello. I'm interested in what others here think or would advise. I'm a heterosexual, caucasion, non-drug using male - who used to drink - get drunk - and sleep with women - sometimes unprotected. As I grew older, my party lifestyle started to slow down. However, in 2000 or 2001 I remember having my lymph nodes at all locations in my body swell and cause some pain. My vocal chords (not throat) also stated to hurt. I remember thinking it could be either one of two things. Exposure to unprotected sex, or exposure to black mold during a remodelong project in my home. It was so bothersome that the only way I could sleep was to pop a couple of advil and chase it with a few beers. (Not the best thing to do) It was at this point when I went to the clinic and got an hiv test. It was negative. Does anyone know if it is possible for hiv to not show up in a test if a person was suffering from full body lymph node pain and swelling?

My symptoms eventually went away after 3 or 4 weeks, and I never thought about it again - until recently.

Into the year 2001, I lost a job in which I made pretty decent money (company closed it's doors), I became more irresponsible with my drinking. And looking back, heavy drinking can make a person do some irresponsible things - like not worrying about repacing the condom after it breaks or falls off. I pray I don't have to regret the possible reprocussions of a few years of getting drunk and partying.

Since the hiv test in 00 or 01 I have had stupidly had protected and unprotected sex. In December of 04, I had a cold, but after this cold, my stuffed nose never became unstuffed. This is called sinusitis. I went to the ENT doc 3 days ago and he RX'd me some antibiotics. It appears to be working. I also have slight but noticible pain in a few lymph nodes in my neck and chest. I can usually only feel it when I press on a node. This lymph node flare up is 10% of what it was the first time it happened in 2001.
And the last issue I have is kidney pain that comes and goes. It started about a month ago.

Does this sound like classic hiv symptoms finally settling in?

Is there a kit I can buy and get the results in the privacy of my own home?

Now that I have quit drinking (it's been about 9 months) I know I need to get a final test to stop myself from freaking out. I, like many of you, have been reading about hiv symptoms on internet medical websites and have become extremely convinced to the point to where I have begun to accept death. I pray this does not become a reality.

Please respond honestly. Your responses will be most appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms over time? Need advice. new
      #135823 - 03/04/05 01:11 PM

Since I was 99% sure I have HIV, based on my symptoms I have read every page one the internet about symptoms. What I can tell you is, based on your sexual experience, you are at a very low risk, but not without risk the only way to really be sure is to get tested. There are lots of anonymous test sites Type in "hiv testing" in your brouser- Good Luck-

Jessie
Guardian

Reged: 06/15/04
      #136369 - 03/05/05 01:45 AM

Its hard to say if you do or dont have HIV due to the fact that you have had unprotected sex and have been with several people.....Best thing to do is to be tested again...BUT just tolet you know for the future...HIV is NOT a death sentence my friend...Granted , I agree nobody wants to have this disease BUT if you do have it and are a person with HIV you will live fairluy long as long as you take care of your mind body and soul.....I am HIV+, strong woman who is a survivor....I will beat this disease and so will many others...so in the future should you post a concern or question, please try and remember that many of us on this board are positive with HIV and we dont want to hear that you are planning on a death sentence because you tested positive(or may test+)..It really is not very compassionate to those of us who suffer each day to keep the will of the power of positive thinking to move forward with our life and live with this disease....thank you and i DO wish you good luck with your testing..If you are negative...hopefully you have learned yet another lesson...Practice safe sex! Then you wont have to worry about HIV killing you...something else will!.....~Jessie~

HIV+ since 2-3-04
"While there is breath, there is hope".

J-Friend
Unregistered

#136570 - 03/05/05 11:52 AM

Anon Guy ... the bottom line is that you need to test if you're concerned about HIV and have had unprotected sex. Given that, your risk was on the lower end of risks - one can get HIV from what you described, but it's a fairly rare occurrence - but, you still need to test. Now, regarding your symptoms - NO, they do not seem to be ARS from what you're describing. Typically, ARS hits you hard, lasts for around a week or so, and then leaves. If you look up the symptoms for mono - the symptomes for ARS are almost exactly alike - it's basically just a viral infection that slams you before your body creates antibodies. Don't let symptoms dictate your mind (I know - easier said than done). Get testet and move on from this nightmare. Good luck, my friend ... I would imagine you'll be fine in regards to HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#137057 - 03/06/05 07:21 AM

Home Access can be done in the privacy of your own home. You can buy one at a local drug store or order one online. Your results will only be a few days away. Good luck and wishing you negative results.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1481

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3