Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Crazy Infection Risk!
      #134738 - 02/20/05 03:16 PM

Hi Everyone,
Please don't condemn me for asking this question, but I really must know.. These are my symptoms - fever (lasted 6 days), rash across my chest (4 days), cough, mucus in throat for 5 days, and finally canker sore that lasted 5 days. All of these symptoms developed 2 weeks after a very odd situation. I was visiting with a couple, one of whom is hiv+... He prepared a sandwich for me. He had cut his finger at the time while slicing a tomato for the sandwich. Is it in anyway possible that a small amount of blood may have gotten onto my sandwich, I ate it almost immediately after it was prepared. And if so, could this be the cause of all the symptoms that I have been experiencing - Could I have seroconverted in this way? Please help clarify for me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anonynmous
Unregistered

Re: Crazy Infection Risk! new
      #134741 - 02/20/05 03:35 PM

You didnt say how long ago it was. I am not a doctor but what ive heard its harder to contract hiv though the mouth but possible(slight) What I would do is get a hiv antibody test at 13 weeks and be done with it ( you could have a hiv pcr dna done at 4 weeks thats nearly 100 percent ) Listen good luck-----------I think you are ok but just to satisfy your fears get tested.

J-Friend
Unregistered

#134744 - 02/20/05 03:47 PM

I'm going to kick myself for asking this, but I can't resist - if an HIV+ person was beeding on your food, why did you proceed to it eat it ... and why would he let you eat it? Also, why would you ask US if it's possible for blood to get on the sandwich - can't you ask him (after all, HE made it). I know I sound a bit harsh, but something sounds "odd" about you story. Anyway, if you're really serious, I doubt you could have become infected - I'm sure the sandwich itself would have killed any virus that was in the blood (if it dripped on it). Furthermore, it's VERY difficult for HIV transmission to take place via orally. You may want to test for your own peace of mind, but it sounds like there was no real risk.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134748 - 02/20/05 05:30 PM

Hi appreciate the advice, I think that I will get tested for my own peace of mind. U see cut himself while in the process of making the sandwich. He bandaged himself up and continued to make the sandwich... He's also healthy and on anti-virals... my only concern is that what if there was some small trace of blood on the sandwich that I ate - am I at risk? But I will get myself tested
Thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134821 - 02/23/05 11:52 AM

How frigging insulting to your host. You actually believe that he would have continued to make a sandwich for you if he bled on it. Do you think all HIV+ people are irresponsible? Even if, and that's a huge if, this did happen you are not at risk. HIV doesn't survive outside the body. Saliva kills HIV. Stomach Acids kill HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134836 - 02/23/05 04:38 PM

I disagree with the statement of the last individual. I have hep c and I have a high viral load of hep c and believe me even though it is only a slight chance of contracting with blood on my finger while making a sandwich, I would throw that sandwich away in a NY second to keep somebody from contracting my illness. if you want to know the truth the guy that cut his finger should of thrown the sandwich away. Its that simple! You are trying to play with odds and I dont care if it was 1-1000000 chance I still throw it away when I cut myself. Now the big problem is the person eating the sandwich. You see Im a people pleaser and it would have been difficult for me to refuse to eat it from preventing the person from feeling bad (Thats my issue) but the "Right" thing would be for me to honestly tell the party that I am just to fearful to eat it due to the slight chance of being infectec and aploogize like hell. Thank you

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1820

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3