Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

How dangerous is Frenching?
      #134673 - 02/19/05 08:44 AM

I'm just looking for some practical advice on my situation. A little over 4 years ago I was with my BF and we french kissed a number of times. There was no sex, and I'm still a virgin. I understand from reading other posts on other boards that blood must be present for kissing to be a risk. I don't recall tasting any blood in his mouth, and I have very good oral hygeine, never any bleeding gums or anything, but my BF did brush his teeth beforehand and I don't know if his gums bled--I can't really recall, but I don't think so. Also, my lips were chapped at the time. I have no symptoms and seem to be in perfect health. But does anyone think this poses any kind of real risk? A little insight would put my mind at rest. And thank you for any/all responses. I appreciate it. And yes, I've been a victim of all those french kissing warnings online.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
Re: How dangerous is Frenching? new
      #134690 - 02/19/05 04:47 PM

Your question left out if he was (+). Either way the risk for transmission through oral (french) kissing is minimal. Yes you bring up good points about about the brushing before hand and the chapped lips (were they so chapped they were cracked and raw?). Still I dont think you have to much to worry about. Breathe easy!

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134693 - 02/19/05 05:16 PM

I never knew his status. I was young enough not to think to ask. I don't really think he was +, but I can't know for certain. We met online and talked for about a year. He seemed to be in good shape. We broke up soon after and he left the country and I never saw him again. Kissing and some petting was all we ever did, and I don't recall any blood involved. I did aggravate my chapped lips the following day a little by licking them the way you do, and sometimes I get a very slight taste of blood that way, but I didn't kiss him then. I'm just curious to know how much blood is needed for there to be a risk. Thank you so much for the insight!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134700 - 02/19/05 10:14 PM

Oral sex is completely safe. There has NEVER been a confirmed case from it anywhere.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134704 - 02/20/05 12:07 AM

Thank you anonymous for clearing that up. There is NO RISK AT ALL from kissing. Coming from someone who has been going through the same worrying. I think tiink needs to stop asking so many questions in his responses, they arew only going to scare and confuse someone who doesn't need to worry at all. For more info on kissing, check out aidsmeds.com, they have alot of resources available in the lessons and forums to make you feel at ease. DON'T WORRY. If you choose to stay here also, jazz could probably give you any further details on this, he's very knowledgable, you can't ask for more.

Monchhichi
Guru

#134707 - 02/20/05 12:54 AM

Well, I do thank everyone for clearing that up for me. I will point out again that the chance is MINIMAL as I stated before. I apologize if it seemed that I was trying to "scare and confuse someone who doesn't need to worry at all", that was not my intention. I was merely asking a question to help this person. Yes, I do understand that the risk of contracting is so MINIMAL it is almost negligble, but under the right set of circumsatnces there is a MINUTE chance of it happening. That is merely why I was covering all the bases. I sympathize with you, "anonymous", for having to go through the same "worrying". I wish you luck and hope that your worries go unfounded. May God be with you.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134720 - 02/20/05 06:19 AM

Hey, thanks for the additional info. Yes, tiink did give me a little fright, since I thought from asking others that there was no risk involved in kissing. Like I mentioned, as far as I can remember, no blood was involved. I was just wondering that if--IF--there was just a little blood involved, but not enough to taste (like from brushing), if there was any chance of infection, or if it's just plain silly to even worry about. In the one incident of infection suspected by mouth, did the couple involved have a large exchange of blood due to dental surgery? Sorry if this is kind of gross. I can't personally imagine anyone kissing anyway if they're bleeding that badly.

Monchhichi
Guru

#134747 - 02/20/05 05:12 PM

Once again sorry for the fright. There would have to be COPIOUS amounts of blood flowing for this to happen. That is what I was trying to say with certain circumstances, sorry for not elaborating. There have been no recorded cases of oral transmission (by way of french kissing). You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I french kiss my husband daily and I am still (-). Please dont worry.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134749 - 02/20/05 05:47 PM

Thank you so much, tiink! Please don't be offended by anything in this thread. I do appreciate the information. This is just such a serious thing...I can appreciate your clarification tho and I appreciate all the info I've gotten from the board. It's helped put my fears to rest (there was no copious blood, none that I can recall at all). I wish you and everyone the best of health and God bless you.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2734

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3