Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
The window period is LESS than 2 weeks? READ!
      #134186 - 02/08/05 01:14 PM

Fourth Generation Assays for the Simultaneous Detection of HIV Antigen and Antibody

Antibody can be detected in a majority of individuals within six to twelve weeks after infection using the earlier generations of assays, but may be detected within three to four weeks when using the newer third-generation antigen sandwich assays. The window period can be shortened to about two weeks using p24 antigen assays or reduced to one week with the implementation of nucleic acid detection assays. Consequently, the window period between infection and detection of infection may be less than two weeks if a comprehensive testing approach is utilized. The detection of p24 antigen by ELISA is a simple and cost effective technique to demonstrate viral capsid (core) p24 protein in blood during acute infection due to the initial burst of virus replication after infection. In order to maximize the detection of all infected individuals, including those in early infection, antibody, antigen and viral RNA tests should be used. However, viral RNA tests are expensive, time consuming, and are not available in many laboratories. Laboratories which possess ELISA capability can increase the ability to detect most infections by testing for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen. During the late 1990s, assays in an ELISA format were developed that have the capability to detect both HIV antibody and HIV p24 antigen simultaneously, thereby eliminating the need to perform separate assays.

source

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite.jsp?page=kb-02-02-01

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The window period is LESS than 2 weeks? READ! new
      #134190 - 02/08/05 03:41 PM

all that is fine but where do you find these test? Most Doc. don't even know what generation test the lab uses.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The window period is LESS than 2 weeks? READ! new
      #134380 - 02/11/05 08:18 PM

Is there a preventative "morning after" treatment should you be suspicious of infection night before?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2825

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3