Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rapid test
      #133960 - 02/03/05 10:34 AM

Hi

ANYONE KNOW THE GENARATION OF HIV RAPID TESTS?

THE ONE WHERE THEY TAKE A BLOOD FROM THE ARM?

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
Re: Rapid test new
      #133961 - 02/03/05 11:06 AM

"Rapid Testing: Samples are obtained and analyzed using the ELISA test. The results are usually available within ten to sixty minutes. If the result is positive, a follow-up test is required, usually by drawing blood and sending the sample to a laboratory for Western blot testing. If the result is negative, there is no need for additional testing and the result can be considered conclusive.
Convenient and faster, this method is often used in healthcare settings, particularly where urgency is an issue such as with someone who is pregnant or about to give birth. Because it provides a result so quickly, this is an increasingly popular method for testing.

Several rapid HIV tests have been approved for the FDA, all of which can only be performed by healthcare providers (they cannot be purchased directly by consumers). The approved tests are the Oraquick® Rapid HIV Antibody Test (using oral fluid or blood samples), the Oraquick® Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test (tests for both HIV-1 and HIV-2 using blood samples), the Reveal® Rapid HIV-1 Antibody Test (requires a blood sample), and the Uni-Gold Recombigen™ HIV Test (requires a blood sample). While the time to conduct each of these tests do vary, they all yield results in less than an hour. If you are interested in any of these tests, you should call your healthcare provider to see if he or she conducts these tests and, if not, where you may go to have one done.

It's very important to understand these new tests do not change the length of time you have to wait after a possible exposure to HIV to get a reliable result. You still need to wait three months, to allow time for antibodies to become detectable in the blood for an accurate result. "

source: aidsmeds.com lessons

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133963 - 02/03/05 11:11 AM

So they would be a what generation please?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133965 - 02/03/05 12:34 PM

sandwich means 3rd generation.

http://www.aegis.com/conferences/13wac/MoPeA2099.html

http://www.phppo.cdc.gov/dls/ila/hiv/Documents/Uni-Gold%20brochure.pdf

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1576

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3