Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jazz Help
      #133512 - 01/25/05 03:45 PM

Gman Bill says that a cut has to be at the mucous layer and no oxygen involved for HIV transmission.

What are your thoughts on this because at other parts of the site it says a cut is enough, so what if two bleeding cuts rubbed together?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rjasin123
Regular

Reged: 01/27/04
Re: Jazz Help new
      #133515 - 01/25/05 04:15 PM

Unbroken skin forms an impervious barrier against bloodborne pathogens. However, infected blood can enter your system through an open and bleeding cut.

The Center for Prevention and treatment of Infections has this to say:

"A: The intact healthy skin is a good barrier to infections of all types including these viruses. Small volumes or drops of blood on normal healthy skin probably is not a risk at all even if the blood contains a lot of HIV or other viruses. If there is a large volume of blood (an entire arm or body saturated with blood) an evaluation is warranted. Some risk may be present. The real risk comes when there is a disruption of intact skin for instance in the case of a rash, or a cut, or a puncture with a sharp instrument, or in the case of mucous membrane contact (eyes, nose, mouth, vaginal or urethral). Overall, the risk of getting HIV from non intact skin or mucous membrane is probably about 1 in 1000 whereas it is about 1 in 300 for a puncture or laceration type injury. This can be further broken down into high risk or low risk based on how much blood has come in contact with broken skin or was on the sharp instrument that produced the injury, and how much virus was in the blood."

From the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"The risk from exposure to mucous membranes or damaged skin determined from pooling 6 prospective studies was 1 infection in 1007 exposures, or .1% (95% CI, .01%-.5%). Such transmission appears to require, in addition to a portal of entry, prolonged exposure to large quantities of blood.3 Transmission through intact skin has not been documented: no HIV infections occurred after 2712 such exposures in 1 large prospective study (95% CI, 0%-.1%).3 "

I have never heard of this "no oxygen" clause.

In laymens terms. If I am HIV + with a high viral load, and I drip my blood from my bleeding finger directly into an open cut, open sore, or into your eye, you have a small but real risk of becoming infected.

I don't know if you are quoting Gman correctly.

Jazz

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 923

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3