Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
LisaJones
Unregistered

Scared Female....
      #133490 - 01/25/05 08:24 AM

Hello,

I feel like I may have contracted AIDS from my boyfriend. I have never thought about AIDS until now. I am 39 and a single mother. I have been feeling funny for about 6 days now. Weird headache. yesterday, I just started to sweat while doing something with my son. I was only sitting down. Then it stopped. This morning I have a blister or something. It seems clear, on my lip. I hurts like hell. I feel funny, really tired. My right ear hurts and the right side of my neck hurts and when I swallow.

I asked my boyfriend if he has ever been tested for AIDS and he said once, 15 years ago......then he seemed nervous.

I am really scared. I never had this before. Could this be early sign of AIDS or Sero Conversion?

any insight would be very helpful. I am a bundle of nerves.
thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scared Female.... new
      #133492 - 01/25/05 09:46 AM

Easy to find out. get your so-called boyfriends down to the testing center and have him tested. None of what you say sound like symptoms of HIV. good luck

Jessie
Regular

Reged: 06/15/04
      #133501 - 01/25/05 12:31 PM

Lisa,

You need to test for HIV as soon as possible..If for nothing else BUT the sake of your son...Knowing is better than not knowing...The treatments and EARLY prevention can and will save your life if you are positive...Try and stay as calm as possible and get tested...In the meantime, use CONDOMS when having sex...If you are NOT infected yet and he is, you will be saving your life!!!! Good luck and please let me know how things turn out....~Jessie~

HIV+ since 2-3-04
"While there is breath, there is hope".
"HIV is what I have, not who I am".

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133510 - 01/25/05 03:30 PM

tks for replying, but I was asking about symptons and you did not address that part.........did you have similiar symptoms?
tks for caring....

rjasin123
Regular

Reged: 01/27/04
      #133513 - 01/25/05 03:51 PM

Symptoms are NO way to diagnose, or even speculated about one's HIV status. For what it is worth, read this:

Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS)

This strikes you as a flu-like sickness usually about 2 to 4 weeks following initial infection. The symptoms usually last 3 to 14 days and go away on their own, just like the flu. It is estimated 50% to 90% of persons infected will get this syndrome. The most common symptoms are fever (fever means 100˚F or higher), sore throat, swollen glands in the neck, armpits and groin, muscle and joint pains, rash and/or night sweats. Less common symptoms include weight loss (10 to 15 pounds), diarrhea, nausea, headache, and, very rarely, yeast infections of the mouth (thrush). Respiratory things like runny nose, sinus infection, coughing, sneezing, etc. are not generally considered symptoms of this syndrome.

The symptoms do not generally last longer than 14 days and will rarely occur 6 or more weeks after exposure. The symptoms may range from mild to severe, but mild symptoms will typically last a shorter period of time than severe ones, and the symptoms that are going to occur usually do so all at once. After this period, you most likely will not get another HIV-related illness for 10 or more years; however, there have been rare cases where the person went directly into AIDS following ARS.

All of these symptoms may be caused by other factors, including the flu or stress. You cannot diagnose HIV based on symptoms, only by testing; however, if you experience these symptoms after a high-risk encounter, you may want to see your doctor.

Whether or not you get this syndrome may or may not impact the testing window period very much, but will probably indicate how the disease will progress. I have read that some say you will test positive about 10 days after having this syndrome, others state it doesn’t affect the window period at all. You are extremely infectious during this period, so if you fear you may have ARS, be extra careful with safer sex and sharing needles. There is some debate over the subject, but it’s likely that beginning treatment during this syndrome will greatly affect how the disease will progress later on.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1723

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3