Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Smith

Reged: 01/21/05
p24
      #133352 - 01/21/05 05:09 PM

To any with insight on the subject?

22 days after a very high risk encounter (as defined by this site), I had a P24 antigen and ELISA (not sure what generation) antibody test. At that point, I did not have any symptoms.

Day 28, I developed fever and extreme fatigue. Fever ended after a day or so, but extreme fatigue lasted for a week. Developed a rash on my chest and neck on day 33. Today, at day 41, only symptoms remaining are the rash and a mild sore throat.

I know the P24 test is often used to help diagnose ARS and average incubation time to ARS from infection is ~21.5 days. My question is, given the somewhat later onset of symptoms, how likely is the p24 to detect antigen BEFORE I became symtomatic?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: p24 new
      #133373 - 01/22/05 01:47 PM

P24 usually will be detected early in primary HIV infection. That said you need to continue testing and practice safe sex

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133375 - 01/22/05 02:02 PM

You should retest let us know good luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133376 - 01/22/05 02:03 PM

what was your exposure/?

Smith

#133381 - 01/22/05 09:35 PM

Receptive anal intercourse without a condom. He was inside for about 3 seconds (literally). I realized he wasn't wearing a condom and put an immediate stop to it. No ejaculation.

I wouldn't be all that worried if not for the rash 3 days after the fever. Rash has persisted (upper chest and neck) for almost 10 days now. But no fever (after the first day or so). Extreme fatigue subsided after about 7 days.

I have already retested (antibody test at 37 days). Waiting for results.

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
      #133384 - 01/22/05 10:30 PM

The P24 antigen assay is only useful up to the time you are producing antibodies (for diagnostic purposes). Once you seroconvert, anti P24 antigen antibodies bind to the P24 antigen and eliminate them from the bloodstream. This process is known as Antigen / antibody complexing.

As to your question, had you been infected with HIV, the p24 portion of your test would have reacted.

Jazz

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133389 - 01/23/05 08:32 AM

I know you must be concerned. Your risk is really not all that high. No ejaculation, a few seconds coupled with the weakness of the virus seems the odds are with you. Your symptoms would worry me to but hey all kinds of things happen. Let us know. If you are truthfull about what happend I would be surprised if you were infected. If you test neg. can you afford a dna/pcr test? Also a rapid test at the local health department would preclude you having to wait two weeks.

Smith

#133472 - 01/24/05 05:30 PM

I am in Canada - rapid testing is not done in testing centers here. At least no where I could find it. Apparently it WAS done, but discontinued by the clinics that originally offered it.

I could have a PCR test done, (for free with Canadian health care) but not anonymously (confidentiality is very important for me for other reasons - none that put anyone at risk).

Smith

#133539 - 01/25/05 11:05 PM

So you are saying there is a low probability I am infected?

Smith

#133540 - 01/25/05 11:09 PM

Re: probability of infection . . .(previous post)

I ask in this context . . .given at the appropriate time, how sensitive is the p24 assay? I have seen plenty of data, but much of it seems to include testing done outside of the antigen window or data that is a few years old.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133563 - 01/26/05 11:06 AM

I don't like your symptoms but your exposure is not that high. Why are you concerned about your name. hell if you have it you need treatment so what the heck. If you don't so what, you wanted to get a test and it is NEG. who will find out;no one.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133564 - 01/26/05 11:08 AM

So much for the great Canada health care system. It sucks That said good luke i hope you are neg

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133917 - 02/02/05 05:17 PM

Canada used to have rapid testing but withdrew because they found that the test isn't good..The brand is fast-check hiv 1/2, i think it is out of the market too..but recently canadian health dept approved another rapid test call medmira..

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2850

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3