Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mass says 6 weeks, WHY?
      #132830 - 01/12/05 05:30 AM

When having a standard HIV antibody test, there must be at least six weeks time between the time a person was last at risk for contracting HIV and the time that he/she gets a test done. Some people call this the "window period". The HIV test is looking for antibodies, which are the body’s response to having HIV in it. For most people, it takes six weeks for the body to produce enough antibodies for a standard HIV antibody test to be accurate.
WHY DOES EVERYONE ELSE RECOMMEND 13 WEEKS?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Mass says 6 weeks, WHY? new
      #132839 - 01/12/05 07:59 AM

Because I use what the Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization say. Yes most all people have enough antibodies by 6 weeks but the fact is it can take to 10 weeks for some, so the standard 13 week 3 month 84 day rule is what I use that way there is no doubt. When the CDC and the WHO move there’s to 6 weeks I will use that also.

Anonymous
Unregistered

GMan..please help new
      #132842 - 01/12/05 11:09 AM

gman, I hope I can get some info from you..I am not the original poster of the first thread..I recently tested negative at 12 weeks (85 Days) and my health dept told me that 6 months is conclusive..But a friend of mine which is staying in UK told me 12 weeks is enough and forget about it..I am staying in a small country in SEA and my government do not conduct their own research on the window period..I do not know where they got this 6 month thing from?probably from the US..Thanks

AAA
Unregistered

Re: GMan..please help new
      #132844 - 01/12/05 11:34 AM

Hi..I presume ur SEA means South East Asia? Anyway..I am from Singapore..I hv asked my doc about this too..he said he is aware that Singapore recommend 6 mths...but he is okay with 3 mths too....its up to the patient...cos in his oponion...3 mths will do....but then...the decision is the patient..cos...even if he say 3 mths is enuff..the patient himself has to believe..so normally..he will let the patient call the shot..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132846 - 01/12/05 11:48 AM

Hello, I am also from singapore..I really do not know why the goverment says 6 months?I spoked to a doc from parkway shenton and he told me 10 weeks is enough..Those people from AFA is also not consistant..some says 3 and DSC people says 6..But i know that the malaysia aids council says 12 weeks..singapore is always resistant to changes..6 months seems to be used from the early 90s till now..1990 people are using walkman but nowadays people are listen to MP3..Surely technologies changes right?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132847 - 01/12/05 11:52 AM

I think the government uses information from the US and have not undate it since..singapore is too small to generate any stats for their own use..2000+ cases conpare to 200000 in New York States alone..But new york is confident with 12 weeks..

AAA
Unregistered

#132849 - 01/12/05 12:28 PM

Well..Singapore does not hv much expertise on this area..as such...probably they r not willing to just folllow...anyway..to the health authority...6 mths is better than 3 mths...but to those waiting for the window period...3 mths is better than 6 mths...but my doc is convinced 3 mths is sufficient.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132850 - 01/12/05 12:34 PM

Yeah..i think we should listen to the experts in NYS dept of health..Australia also stated 12 weeks and 6 months is only for those with PEP..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132852 - 01/12/05 02:00 PM

because massachusetts listens to the scientists and not the politicians if you know who Dr. Niel Constantine is then you know he studied the window period for elisa tests and reported it take 3-5 weeks for most people to have a positive test with the current elisa test any test after 6 weeks is your sero status

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132853 - 01/12/05 02:12 PM

you mean mass using the 6 weeks do not skip anyone who is really infected?However..this is what that is shown in WHO website..

"In case of an unsafe event, with an indeterminate or a negative test result it may be necessary to repeat the test after 14 days (indeterminate) or after 6 weeks (negative result) (to take into account the “window period”, which can result in a negative result even though HIV infection has occurred). "

http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/vct/testing/en/

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132873 - 01/12/05 09:25 PM

wonder why all of the confusion about the window period? Mass says 6 weeks and most testing centers now say 6 weeks too. If you go to requestatest.com and order a test they tell you it is over 99 percent accurate at 6 weeks too. If you call the national aids testing center they tell you the same thing. Nobody is going to let anyone who is at risk think all is well at 6 weeks and possibly infect anyone else, right? I don't think so! The CDC is behind in the times and slow as molasses.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Singapore testing question new
      #132874 - 01/12/05 09:58 PM

Are you guys aware if any Home Testing kits are available in Singapore? I could not find any over the net etc.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132876 - 01/12/05 11:46 PM

At least cdc moved on to 3 months but singapore is the real slow tortise now..

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Singapore testing question new
      #132877 - 01/12/05 11:47 PM

There is not home testing in singapore..the only option u have is the rapid test conducted by AFA..

gravedigger
Unregistered

stereo equipment *DELETED*
      #132879 - 01/13/05 02:51 AM

Post deleted by TheBody

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3061

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3