Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

hiv
      #132625 - 01/06/05 11:49 AM

hi guys,

what are the stats on people catching hiv without catching other stds first? is this common?

or do people genrally catch an std before they get hiv?

thank you very much

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
Re: hiv new
      #132626 - 01/06/05 12:26 PM

It is impossible to quantify this for you. For example if the only folks you have risk with are merely HIV +, then you have zero chance of becoming infected with any STD other than HIV and vice versa.

Having a sexually transmitted disease can increase a person's risk of becoming infected with HIV, whether the STD causes open sores or breaks in the skin (e.g., syphilis, herpes, chancroid) or does not cause breaks in the skin (e.g., chlamydia, gonorrhea).

If the STD infection causes irritation of the skin, breaks or sores may make it easier for HIV to enter the body during sexual contact. Even when the STD causes no breaks or open sores, the infection can stimulate an immune response in the genital area that can make HIV transmission more likely.

In addition, if an HIV-infected person also is infected with another STD, that person is three to five times more likely than other HIV-infected persons to transmit HIV through sexual contact.

Bottom Line, is to stay safe, and stay negative.

Jazz

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: jazz please answer new
      #132630 - 01/06/05 02:41 PM

i had unprotected sex with someone positive they didnt ejaculate inside however i did catch chlamydia and hpv. i had a 9 week negative test........whats the odds jazz???????

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132631 - 01/06/05 02:41 PM

i had unprotected sex with someone positive they didnt ejaculate inside however i did catch chlamydia and hpv. i had a 9 week negative test........whats the odds jazz???????

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
      #132632 - 01/06/05 03:09 PM

The vast majority of folks will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. Your 9 week test is extremely encouraging.

Let's not worry right now about "chances", since you are all but out of the woods. Get your 12 week gold seal negative which I fully expect you to and move on.

Jazz

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1330

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3