Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shingles
      #13230 - 12/05/00 02:43 PM

I am currently suffering from shingles 2 weeks after unprotected vaginal sex (i am male) with someone whos hiv status i do not know. The symptoms begain 1 and a half weeks after the possible exposure. I am very concerned - how concerned should i be?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KID_X

Reged: 12/05/00
Re: Shingles new
      #13232 - 12/05/00 02:53 PM

Well, I know for a fact that shingles could easily be stessed related. Overall, A male is less likely to get hiv from intercourse with a female. It does happen though. The only thing that will ease your mind is to get tested. Get tested a month or 2 after and then again at 12 weeks. In the mean time, try to stay calm and the people on the board are here to help out. Pray and have faith.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#13239 - 12/05/00 04:11 PM

I know that shingles can occur within hiv+ people but is 1 and a half weeks too soon - or is shingles acknowledged to be a very early sign of hiv infection? Could it be purely coincidental that i have developed shingles at only 25 years of age so soon after a possible exposure?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#13240 - 12/05/00 04:14 PM

I would get in and do a pcr test. Wait about 4-6 weeks after you exposure. Do a DNA test and not a RNA. Shingles is one of those things that does happen in HIV negative and postive. Also do a Elisa test with your PCR.

good luck

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #13243 - 12/05/00 04:21 PM

Shingles doesn't have any thing to do with HIV. If you had chicken pox, then you can be subjected to shingles at anytime in your life.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#13244 - 12/05/00 04:23 PM

Try to relax man. Did you see a Dr.? Tell him/her about your concerns. That's the only way they can help. As was said, I know shingles can be stress related. I haven't seen it mentioned as an early sign of hiv. You have to get tested no matter what, since you were at risk. Nobody can tell you if your symptoms are definately related to hiv or not. The only way to know for sure is to get tested. The Elisa 3rd generation is the best test to take. It is conclusive at 12 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#13251 - 12/05/00 06:04 PM

I am no medical expert, but I have read that shingles are caused by the herpes zoster virus, the same virus responsible for chickenpox. If someone has had chickenpox in the past, then the virus may reappear in older age. Shingles, I read (but I am no medical expert) do occur in HIV, but at a later stage, I don't think they occur at initial infection or ARS. Shingles occurs when someone with HIV is already immuno suppresed. My advice, if I were you, would be to have a doctor check out the shingles for any possible cause and to get tested for HIV.
Best of luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#13267 - 12/06/00 08:27 AM

I had shingles at an early age...if it is your only symptom I don't know how much creedance I would put into it that it was HIV related. Relax and go to the doctor and get checked out.

Where are they located? Rib area, face and neck, other location?

Shingles can be painful. You need to get on a course of virus shredders.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3439

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3