Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
nus-1
Unregistered

An encouraging piece of literature on HIV
      #13181 - 12/03/00 10:35 PM

Hi all. I've read most of the posts in this forum ever since I discovered it :). Although I've never shared my story, I've read similar stories on the board and have felt much better that I'm not alone in this world with overwhelming feeling of guilt and fear of HIV. Anyway, I just want to share a piece-actually there are quite a lot- of encouraging literature on HIV/AIDS to those that are worried sick after a possible exposure (like me). You can find the literature in the link below:

http://www.libchrist.com/std/contents.html

I've tested negative after 4 months of possible exposure (unprotected oral sex with a sex worker). I was worried because at that moment, I had 3 ulcers in my mouth. Anyway, I'll go for another test @ 5 and 6 months because the test that I took was a Rapid HIV test not the 3rd generation Elisa so I'd feel more comfortable with another two tests. For those who have similar exposures, I hope you'll find my story an encouraging one and may you test negative as well. Don't forget that the chances of contracting HIV in a single exposure is rare, especially if you don't know whether your partner is HIV+ or not.

Cheers and and god bless
nus

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
elviajero1
Unregistered

Re: An encouraging piece of literature on HIV new
      #13183 - 12/04/00 01:52 AM

Hi, why are you not happy with the Rapid test? Is there any evidence to support that the 4 month Rapid test may not be as accurate as Elisa 3?

I ask because I am negative at 4 weeks with Elisa 3, and negative at 6 and 8 weeks with Rapid tests. I too would feel more comfortable with an Elisa at 12 weeks, but at the momment I am holding on to the best result I have, which is negative at 6 weeks (rapid test). Where can I find literature on Rapid tests?

My counselor said Rapid tests are as sensitive as Elisa 3 or even more, and can give more false positives as it would detect any slight alteration in the blood.

I plan to take another rapid test next Saturday at 10.5 weeks. Any clues?

Cheers

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: An encouraging piece of literature on HIV new
      #13184 - 12/04/00 02:01 AM

Well, it's not that I'm not happy. In fact, I'm tremendously happy with my result but the doctor was conservative and asked me to go back for another test @ 6months. I'm not sure about the sensitivity of the Rapid test against 3rd generation Elissa. I couldn't find any literature comparing the two tests. In where I live, the Rapid Test serve as a screening test. If tested positive, the blood would be drawn for an Elisa test. With this procedure, I presume that the Rapid test is not as accurate as the Elisa test and has higher probability in giving false negative or positive. Despite all these, I'm quite comfortable with my 4 months result but another test at 5 months would put the final seal and I shall be able to put all these behind me :)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone - Read and Comment!!! new
      #13185 - 12/04/00 09:30 AM

I appreciate your thread leading to literature you mention. I read it in its entirety and found some good information.

Have any others on this board read the info? What are you alls thoughts?

I guess my first thought is "Why would someone claiming to be a Liberated Christian" disspell prostitution as a main avenue to HIV transmission? His evidence based on prostitution research is compelling.

The more and more I read about HIV there is one thing that keeps coming into my mind..."MEN ARE THE KEY TO STOPPING THIS SCOURGE". Based upon transmission and risk factors, if more men used condoms and stopped thinking with the BIG head instead of their LITTLE head, we'd go a ways in controlling HIV.

I've read about the discordant male and mixed relationship studies and how tranmission takes place. I don't know how to answer the question as to why infected/noninfected partners knowingly pass the virus on to each other. I guess you can never underestimate the power of love. I just don't know.

I also don't know what to think about the statements that lies are skewing the CDC data. That men would rather admit to sex with a dog than to sex with another man. That prostitution is an easy scapegoat. That 42% of those claiming heterosexual transmission later admit to other high risk behaviors such as IV drug use and homosexuality.

The fact of the matter is that since the tracking of AIDs data back in the late 80's there have been approximately 40,000 cases of documented supposed heterosexual cases in the US. Approximately 20k of these were men. 20K over 15 years does support the "get hit by a car" scenario. Given these statistics - maybe there is some truth to Captain Japan's statements.

MEN - stop putting your female partners at risk!!! Use condoms, abstain, or find other ways to satisfy your urge. We can beat this thing but we must control its spread while researchers find the cure.

God bless you all.

nus-1
Unregistered

Re: Everyone - Read and Comment!!! new
      #13186 - 12/04/00 09:38 AM

I totally agree with your views! However, most men don't understand the consequences of contracting HIV until they are confronted with fear and anxiety that most of us have been through. We can help get this message through to our friends that are using their "little" heads more than they should have.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1526

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3