Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

hiv 1 vs hiv 2 and testing
      #13092 - 12/01/00 01:44 PM

Hi everyone. I have a question that is driving me nuts and was wondering if anyone could help me. I was tested for HIV in April 2000 with a negative result. The anxiety continues but this is not a "window" question. I am trying to find out if I was tested for HIV 2 in addition to HIV 1. One of my concerns includes a possible occupational exposure in an NYC hospital. The test center gives me conflicting info on whether the EIA included 1 and 2 (it depends on who you talk to there). But I did find out that the lab (Quest Diagnostics) uses Abbott EIA kits. According to an Abbott rep, kits that only detected HIV 1 were pulled from the market in Jan. 2000 and replaced with HIV 1/2. Since I was tested 3 months later (Apr 2000) how do I know that I had the newer test? Call me paranoid, but couldn't they have just used the old test? I would hate to think that I went through all of that to be tested with a kit that was on the verge of being "pulled from the market". The lab is useless in providing information, and are in fact quite hostile. They tell me that this is confidential information. I don't think it has anything to do with "confidential". I simply asked them if the test includes detection of 1 and 2. Don't I have a right to know what I was tested for? I would find it extremely stressful to be tested again. Any advice?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
Re: hiv 1 vs hiv 2 and testing new
      #13094 - 12/01/00 01:59 PM

Hi. I understand your concern of knowing what generation of test was given to you. But would it not be easier to put the matter to rest by acquiring another test at this point. It would save you a lot of anxiety. Also, from what I've read, healthcare workers with occupational exposure need to be tested at a MINIMUM of 6 months post exposure. == PVS

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: hiv 1 vs hiv 2 and testing new
      #13103 - 12/01/00 03:24 PM

Hi to PVS. Thanks for responding. Actually my exposure was in 1996 so it is not a matter of being in "the window". I'm not sure if I could handle getting tested again (physically or emotionally). I just can't figure out why I should have to re-test anyway. Don't I have a right to know exactly what I was tested for in the first place? Why is it so hard to find out this information?

confused
Unregistered

Question for PVS (response to HIV 1 vs HIV 2 ... new
      #13105 - 12/01/00 03:37 PM

A question for PVS. Why would healthcare workers need to wait a minimum of 6 mos. post exposure? HIV is HIV. The virus would not take longer to produce antibodies in a healthcare worker versus someone who is not a healthcare worker. The person who posted this question stated that they would be extremely stressed by getting another test. It may not be necessary. While I don't have any answers I agree that this seems confusing and unfair....

PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
Re: Question for PVS (response to HIV 1 vs HIV 2 ... new
      #13107 - 12/01/00 03:44 PM

Good question and I knew it would arise. Actually healthcare workers are required to test out to 6 months and possibly a year. This was a guideline set many years ago. You have to look at the premise that they are exposed to many, many viruses which include HIV, HCV etc in which some diseases a few months is needed to produce adequate antibodies that are measurable. Most of the occupational exposures would relate to needlestick injuries which pose a great threat to contracting HIV. Thus to ensure accuracy in results they are asked to wait out the window but certainly they can get tested at 3 months onwards. I was merely stating the required minimum as it was published in health department guidelines. A good example of an occupational exposure resulting in HIV infection would be Dr. Frascino. He got stuck by a needle and contracted the virus. == PVS

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2495

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3