Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Ex_Male_Slut
Fanatic

Reged: 11/02/00
Re: Warning from JS
      #12991 - 11/29/00 01:48 PM

Any Doctor who suggests that it takes 5.8 months for 95% of newly infected people to show antibodies (with a healthy immune system to begin with) is a mis-informed professional.

Don't assume that such a Doctor knows all there is to know about all viruses because of the medicine degree hanging on the wall. My Doctor openly told me I knew more about HIV than she did, she also explained that she had recently performed mouth to mouth resuscitation on a patient whose face was covered in blood and she didn't use a mask.

The current wisdom on the latest (3rd) generation ELISA test is that 50% of infected people will show anti-bodies within 25 days, 99.7% of infected people will test positive within 3 months. If you fit this data to a guassian probability (bell) curve and project to 6 months you have less than 1 chance in 8.5 trillion of taking 6 months to produce anti-bodies if you have a normal immune system (no cancer, chronic Hepatitus C etc).

This question has been answered ad-nauseum numerous times over the last few months alone. Instead of repeatedly asking this question people should look up all the archived posts.

Have a good day all of you!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Warning from JS new
      #12994 - 11/29/00 02:11 PM

READ SOME RECENT INFORMATION FROM RYAN KULL. HE QUOTES JOHN BARTLETT IN SAY THAT >95% OF PEOPLE WILL CONVERT BY 5.8 MONTHS. HE IS AN EXPERT.

PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
      #13000 - 11/29/00 02:33 PM

Couldn't have said it any better. Bravo EMS! Truly a smart post.

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #13001 - 11/29/00 02:33 PM

Please note also that if you did have cancer or chronic hepatitis C or some other culprit that has been shown to delay seroconversion (slightly) it would have been picked up in a routine CBC blood test that I'm sure any doctor would have ordered in addition to an hiv test. White blood count and lymphocytes would be all screwed up if there was anything like that present.

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #13002 - 11/29/00 02:37 PM

This is what makes the fear of infection with this disease so horrible. We reduce ourselves to clutching at tone, inflection, and choice of words as differentiating points of view. The literature says with today's testing methods, 99.7% will show positive by 3 months. 99.9+% by 6 months. So saying >95% by 5.8 months is still consistent with all this. What you are choosing to do here is say that since Krull responded quickly to a question and said >95% in 5.8, that means all the other statistics are wrong. Not so. This is all consistent info, just some answers more precise than others. Please, please please stop trying to disect fractions of a percentage point to weigh against you.

AnomJS
Grand Master

Reged: 11/05/00
      #13003 - 11/29/00 02:48 PM

I see you're still at it huh? I've got an idea for you. Stop posting as anon. Log in and let's chat about whatever problem is going on in your grill. You're not going to change anyones mind. Facts are facts my friend. Do your research then post or please, quit it. Stop reading in to little things. Call hotlines get info and you can learn about what is going on. Have a good day.

altazar
Expert

Reged: 11/14/00
      #13009 - 11/29/00 03:58 PM

well said gary now can we leave it at that

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2261

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3