Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ARS - The Dilemma
      #12942 - 11/28/00 08:51 AM

I've done a decent amount of research on ARS lately since it is an enigma to both us laymen as well as the medical community.

The first issue is - if you read all the info thats out there it states that ARS occurs in "50-90%" of those with acute HIV infection. That's quite a range of variability.

From what I gather the following symptoms are the most prevalent (in order of occurence):

1. Fever - occurs in over 95% of the cases.
2. Swollen Glands - occurs in 75% of the cases.
3. Sore throat - 70%
4. Fatigue - 70%
5. Rash - 50-70%

Alot of people come on this board looking for info on ARS. My intention is not to worry you all with more information but to state what I believe to be the correct information in the medical community. Oddly enough, this condition is missed almost 75% of the time unless the clinician has a high suspicion of HIV disease. There are actually "silent seroconverters" who have no symptoms at all during acute HIV infection. This is odd. Anybody have an idea what percentage this might be? One study I read stated that in a trial of 220 seroconverters - 16% were asymptomatic. Any thoughts?

Another statement made by many physicians is that HIV hones in on the lymphatic system - the lymph nodes. If this were the case I would expect that swollen glands would be higher than the aforementioned 70% occurence rate. Any thoughts?

The duration of ARS is usually 1-3 weeks.

Those who are positive on this board may/may not want to comment on this info.

Just wanted to put this info out for those who are constantly worrying about it. Once again - DO NOT DIAGNOSE HIV WITH SYMPTOMS.

Take care.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 762

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3