Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Hobgoblin
Regular

Reged: 10/09/00
1st, 2nd & 3rd Generation ELISA
      #12650 - 11/21/00 07:05 AM

Has anyone read a previous post on this matter?

If I remember rightly, somebody posted that testing negative at 3 months on an 3rd Generation ELISA is all one needs as this type of test is highly sensative.

And that if you tested negative on a 1st & 2nd Generation ELISA after 3 months, but are still "ill" then it is best to confirm it with a 6 month test...

Am I right in what I have said? And if so what is everyone's view on this?

I rang up my pathology lab today to find out which test I hade undergone, and it was 1st & 2nd Generation ELISA (for HIV 1 & 2).

Is Hobgoblin going to have to eat his words on 6 month testing?????

Hugz,

Hobgoblin

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Generation ELISA new
      #12660 - 11/21/00 09:18 AM

The only reason you would need to test at 6 months if you tested negative, at 3 months, but you've been having ongoing health problems. Some like to do a PCR and a ELISA, at 6 months to be conclusive. With the combination of these two test one can get to 100% accurate as possible. It gives you a false negative value of something in the range of .0001,

TexGal
Unregistered

#12662 - 11/21/00 10:13 AM

I think what it comes down to Hob is at what point will YOU feel comfortable with your results. What has the doc or counselors recommended for you? I was under the impression that the combo test for HIV 1 & 2 was the latest generation but I could be wrong.

Is there a way that you could request the 3rd generation test to put your mind at ease? I understand how you feel...just when you think you're done testing, the mind begins working on you again.

Good luck sweetie!

Tex

PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
      #12669 - 11/21/00 10:47 AM

Hello. The 3 month test using that 3rd Genenation Elisa test is 99.7% conclusive. If you want 99.9% accuracy then go for your 6 month test. There really isnt much difference and 3 months in between is an eternity if you are anxious. == PVS

JustChecking
Unregistered

#12675 - 11/21/00 02:38 PM

I have talked to my doctor a lot about the different test generations. The difference is the sensitivity to the virus which, of course, makes the 3rd generation more able to pick up on extremely low amounts of the antibody. A three month negative is still an extremely strong indication that you are not infected. If, however, you are like me, I would suggest getting one more test with the 3rd generation. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but from what my doctor says, it was a big improvement in the test. So much so that it decreased the detectability 10 to 20 days. Personally, I think one week of waiting is better than three months of more wondering. That's just me though. I feel for you since we had exactly the same exposure. I bet you are fine. Peace and love

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4892

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3