Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Hawaii_Guy

Reged: 11/17/00
Testing "average"
      #12601 - 11/20/00 03:08 PM

I was just wondering, if the "average" person test + at 25 days, and ARS usually occurs between 2-4 weeks from exposure -- then some of those people could be experiencing ARS "while" testing positive?

Also, on some "common symptoms listings of ARS they highlight swollen nodes usually as the second most frequent symptom -- some even call it the "hallmark of ARS". But I see other studies that fail to even identify it
anyone have a clue?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re new
      #12605 - 11/20/00 03:59 PM

The window period is 3-6 months. It is 3 months for people who are health after exposure, and 6 months, for people who are testing negative, but have health reasons for retesting. Swollen glands is not definitive of HIV. When people are going through ARS most standard serology test will be negative. DNA would be postive almost 0 of the time if it was done while ARS was going on.

Anonymous
Unregistered

ARS new
      #12607 - 11/20/00 04:51 PM

Question:
Hello sir! I was wondering if one took an hiv test (elisa) and was experiencing true ARS symptoms, would the test come out positive or indeterminate? The way i understand this is that ARS is when antibodies begin to be produced, so therefore, a test should come out this way. thank you for you help!!

Dr. Holodniy's Response:
If one is acutely infected with HIV, the symptoms may last for a few days to several weeks. The ELISA test might not be positive at the onset of symptoms. It will be positive in 99% of infected people within 3 months of infection irregardless of whether symptoms were or are still present.
MH

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Testing "average" new
      #12618 - 11/20/00 06:57 PM

You can test positive during ARS, if it has been going on for a little while. ARS is when the body is developing anitbodies to HIV, so if you tested right after it started it might not be picked up due to the fact not enough antibodies have been developed. Hence the 3 months. 25 days is an average, but by waiting 3 months 99% of the population will be included.

As far as the swollen nodes, again, it depends on the person, lists try to include everything that might be experienced, however each person is different. There are plenty of people that have found out they are positive and experienced no symptoms, or symptoms were so mild they did not recognize them as ARS.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Re new
      #12619 - 11/20/00 07:05 PM

Actually the 6 months is for people who have had known high risk exposure (ie, high risk unprotected sex with someone who is HIV+) and have tested negative. Also the CDC still says 6 months, because of the high number of people that really do not know the exact date of their exposure. By having people test out to 6 months, they can catch that portion of the population. Variations in health for a 3 month vs. 6 month test would be minimal. Unless you have a MAJOR health issue that has already compromised the immune system, (before infection) a 3rd generation Elisa is conclusive.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2018

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3