Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

DNA PCR
      #12033 - 11/08/00 02:44 PM

OK This is the story. After little over a month of my last exposure I had a Elisa test (negative) and 16 days after the Elisa a DNA PCR. For the DNA I called a number the CDC hotline gave me for Specialized Testing. The DNA PCR came back negative and they told me at Specialized testing that I didn't need no more tests. That that was very conclusive after 28 days. Can somebody please tell me if this true?. I haven't have any symptoms of anything, but I'm worried since some doctors say this test is not that good. But I even asked Specialized testing if I needed to test after 3 months with an Elisa and they say No. How much assurance does a DNA PCR gives me after about 45 days?.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
Re: DNA PCR new
      #12035 - 11/08/00 02:52 PM

I think you can rest easy. I found this post on Dr. Holidny's forum --

Question:
With DNA PCR testing, when would you say that this test is 100% accurate and conclusive after an exposure to HIV? In your opinion, is DNA PCR testing at 28 days more accurate than HIV antibody/ELISA testing at the six month time frame? Are either test really 100% for sure? Once again, your response is greatly appreciated!

Dr. Holodniy's Response:
DNA PCR testing today is close to 99.99% accurate. There is always the chance of a false negative. DNA PCR at 28 days, in my opinion (based on only limited published studies and personal observation), is equal to an ELISA at 6 months.
MH

Good luck and stay safe!! == PVS

Anonymous
Unregistered

more from the Doc new
      #12037 - 11/08/00 04:22 PM

Here's another post from the great Doc:

Question:
good day dr.tell me how long is to wait for this pcr dna test ?and all so the standard hiv elisa test time frames . thanks for your good time youe a great site on computer your truely thanks so much

Dr. Holodniy's Response:
I take it from your question you are asking when those tests should be obtained. A DNA PCR will become positive by 2-4 weeks after exposure. A test one month or after exposure can be definitive. An ELISA test is usually positive within 4-12 weeks after exposure/infection.
MH

Seems like the Doc has quite a bit of experience and faith in that dna test. I'm sure you are fine. Just for more peace of mind....have the antibody test @ 3 mos. anyway to answer any lingering questions you may have and then put that puppy to bed.

BE CAREFUL!!

=)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2220

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3