Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Joe
Unregistered

Advise on PCR-DNA
      #11953 - 11/06/00 11:55 AM

Is it the PCR-DNA test or are the PCR and DNA test different tests?

Is this test worth it? I did find a place close to me who gives it for 345.00 (ouch!).

Does this test produce a lot of false positives and negatives?

I have a month to go before my three month (please no wars).

I just want this crap to be all over.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AnomJS
Grand Master

Reged: 11/05/00
Re: Advise on PCR-DNA new
      #11955 - 11/06/00 12:01 PM

I don't know much about that much about the test. I know there can be false positives with it though but I don't know how often. You should ask a professional. If you don't mind, what was your exposure?
-JS

PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
      #11957 - 11/06/00 12:06 PM

Supposedly it's conclusive after 28 days. From my standpoint, it's only worth it if you can't wait for 12 weeks and you WILL ACCEPT your results and move on. Now, if you feel that after taking this test and paying the mucho bucks you will be able to go on with your life, by all means take it (I don't think the lab would be doing this service if these tests were worthless). But I have been told by the most reputable HIV/AIDS orgs (CDC, GMHC and CA. Aids Hotline) that the Elisa antibody test is the best one to take. By the way, the PCR-DNA test tests for the actual virus, the Elisa tests for the antibodies thus the reasoning that you need to wait a little longer post exposure for the Elisa for the most accurate reading. I hope this helps. == PVS

Joe
Unregistered

#11958 - 11/06/00 12:15 PM

To sum it up, 2 months ago I had unprotected sex with a friend of a friend of a friend. She gave me no indication that there was any risk(nice job, nice place), so I didn't bother asking (stupid mistake). About two weeks later I caught a cold or bug (couldn't really match up any sympthoms). I started looking on the web about HIV and completely scared the crap out of myself, so I had an antibody test done at 33 days (negative). Now I just want to close out this worst experience I ever had in my life.

AnomJS
Grand Master

Reged: 11/05/00
      #11959 - 11/06/00 12:28 PM

I hear you. I tested neg at 2 months. It's good that you're getting tested to ease your mind. I had sex with a girl I didn't even know. VERY STUPID!!! I never do that. If you check my post 8 week test one page 1 you'll see my exposure and symptoms. It's a tough thing to go through. I can't even contact the girl to ask any questions. We'll let me know what you decide to do. I'm usually always on so I'll be here. Good Luck and I'll pray for you and everyone else.

Joe
Unregistered

#11960 - 11/06/00 12:55 PM

I think what scares me is that I don't know much about this woman. We only breifly talked, enough for me to know what she did, what she likes, and info about her family. She seemed responsible (but didn't bother asking about my sexual history), and I thought I was responsible. Our night turn out to be a one night stand. I guess the next morning when we were sober (spelling), she really didn't think we had a lot in common. About a week ago I called her to ask her about her (HIV status), but chickened out.
I did leave a really stupid message on her machine telling her that I was in good health before our night and still feel ok, hoping she would call back with some sort of response, but no luck. I wonder what she is thinking about all of this if she is at all.

I am feeling better. I found some info that is hard for a guy to get HIV from a woman, but not impossible.

JustChecking
Unregistered

#11964 - 11/06/00 02:19 PM

From what I understand the PCR DNA test is really not that conclusive unless followed up by a Elisa test after anywat. There is only a max. of six day difference between the ability of the tests to pick up the virus and that is a maximum. I debated the same as you are and decided not to get that test since it had been over 9 weeks since my exposure at my last Elisa test. If you are really concerned, I would say at minimum make sure you are tested with the third generation Elisa. If you feel better about it, get the PCR DNA and Elisa. I still debate about whether I should have or not. Hope this helps.

jenna

Reged: 11/02/00
      #12016 - 11/08/00 02:11 AM

A PCR DNA test is not the same thing as a P24 antigen test. A PCR DNA test looks for HIV in the white blood cells. A P24 antigen test looks for this antigen which disappears just before antibody production. While it is true that this antigen test may shorten the window period by only 6 days, a PCR DNA should always be positive if infection is present. This test is considered conclusive at 28 days past exposure.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2559

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3