Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lymph Swelling - Need Expert
      #115855 - 11/22/04 10:30 AM

I am 11 weeks after a high risk incident with a high risk person. I've had various symptoms that concerned me all occured within 2 months of the incident. I noticed some pain in my joints and muscles over the last 3 weeks. I know most ARS symptoms occur after 3 weeks.

1) Is it possible or likely that certain symptoms occur during the first 3 weeks, then others like lymph swelling happen later?

2) I feel some pain in areas that is slighly below the lymph gland areas (groin and armptis). Seems like down into the muscles further away from nodes. The areas where the lymph glads should be are not painful. It feels a little like there is swelling, but it is not painful or hard at the node location. Any one know, is this likely the way it happes?

3) I tested neg at 30 days. I was and am panicing and drinking a lot of water. Could drinking a lot of water prior to test effect the out come of the 30 day test?

4) If was having syptoms pror to the 30 day test, wouldn't my body be producing antibodies?

Help anyone!

4) I have a really bad feeling about this. Prior to my 12 week test, is there anything that I should do to help me prepare for it if I am positive?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
Re: Lymph Swelling - Need Expert new
      #115857 - 11/22/04 11:57 AM

Answers:

1. ARS symptoms come on all at once, last up to 3 weeks and resolve. Swollen glands however may be persistent.

2. Prodding and poking at your nodes willl cause them to swell and become painful. Please stop the self examination.

3. Are you kidding me? Drinking gallons of water will ot affect an HIV assay.

4. Not necessarily. If the symptoms were truly ARS prior to your 30 day test, you still may have not fully seroconverted.

5. You don't need to do anything to prepare for being +. You deal with that after 2 + ELISA's and a confirmatory Western Blot Assay.

BTW, what was your so called high risk? Handjobs and blow jobs don't qualify as risk.

Cheers

Jazz

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115861 - 11/22/04 01:00 PM

1. Thank you, but that's not good news. I recently cut way back on alcohol consumption. Could cause lymph swelling?

2. I didn't know that, thanks. Unfortunately they hurt before I started poking at them.

3. I did n't drink a lot of water thinking that it would help or influence the test, I had a extreme dry mouth. I just wanted to make sure the neg test at 30 days was a good sign. It is one of the few things still helping me cope. The only other good news was all the other tests for the regular stds was negative.

4. Thanks, but again not necessarily great news.

5. I'm just trying to understand how I'll be told, by who and what will happen in the minutes or days afterwards. Is it true the results will take a week longer if they do the extra testing to confirm it? What will they tell me about the delay? Last time it took 2 days to get the neg results.

6. I was drunk and on assignment in a third world country. Like a complete idiot, I had unprotected vaginal twice with a sex worker (therefore the one smart decision I've made is reduction in alcohol drinking). This is one of the highest incent rate countries outside of africa. I can't sleep or eat, I'm holding it together...barely.

God bless you for listening to me and answering.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115863 - 11/22/04 01:57 PM

Your 30 day result means that is is very unlikely that you are positive. ARS symptoms do not come and go. Also if you were experiencing symptoms before this 30 day test, it would have likely turned positive if it was ARS. Dont focus on symptoms, I had every symptom in the book and then some. And regards to drinking water, there is no way that drinking a lot of water would affect an antibody test. I know you are anxious before your 12 week test, but just think about how happy you wil lbe once you find your negative and you can put this past you.

rjasin123
Guardian

#115867 - 11/22/04 03:08 PM

You have some things going for you.

HIV is a difficult virus to transmit, more so from female to male.

There is a good chance the person you had sex with was HIV- at the time.

There was no menstrual blood present.

As others have said, your 30 day test is extremely encouraging since the average time to seroconversion is 22 days with the vast majority doing so within 4 to 6 weeks.

I believe your 3 month follow up will mirror your 30 day result.

Cheers

jazz

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115882 - 11/22/04 05:19 PM

Thank you both for commenting. I do appreciate it. I am trying to focus on the hope that there is nothing seriously wrong (other being an idiot for being in this situation) with me. On my last point, I just want to know what generally happens. Are they (my doctors office) going to tell me the truth... that the test was positive and that it is being re-ran to be confirmed? (My doctor think's my risk is low even if I had sex with an HIV+ person). I think he is just trying to keep me calm... Will it take 2-3 additional days and they won't tell me anything? Last time a nurse told me over the phone and it only took 2 days. I assume, they'll make me come in to tell me in person. Again, I haven't given up hope. I just assume that if any of the above happens, it is gonna be bad news. I don't mean to wig out. I'm just trying to understand it, if it happens.

rjasin123
Guardian

#115974 - 11/23/04 09:08 AM

Will your doctor tell you the truth? Absolutely.

If your initial ELISA comes up reactive, they order another one. If that one also is reactive, a confirmatory Western Blot Assay is ordered. Your are only diagnosed HIV+ when the confirmatory WB comes back reactive.

I don't see this happening. Some studies put the risk of insertive vaginal with a KNOWN HIV+ women at 1 in 8,000.

I think this time you will make it through OK.

Keep us posted.

jazz

WorriedCA
Unregistered

Hey Rjasin new
      #115975 - 11/23/04 10:02 AM

I have read these studies to. Apparently its very hard to get HIV by insertive vaginal sex. But do you know about any studies on the chances on insertive anal sex (im sure you remember my risk). I know the risk is higher than insertive vaginal but just wanted to see how much higher.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115976 - 11/23/04 12:24 PM

Jazz,
After this is over, I hope I can find a way to ease someone's pain who is going through this. I'll let you know what happens. I should have my results around Dec. 2.

rjasin123
Guardian

Re: Hey Rjasin new
      #115980 - 11/23/04 01:48 PM

[quote]I have read these studies to. Apparently its very hard to get HIV by insertive vaginal sex. But do you know about any studies on the chances on insertive anal sex (im sure you remember my risk). I know the risk is higher than insertive vaginal but just wanted to see how much higher. [/quote]

Dear Worried

Read this:
http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/recent/transmission/081699.html

Here is an excerpt

"the study found that the risk of HIV infection is lower in men who practice unprotected insertive anal intercourse (HIV negative "tops" who put their penis in the rectum of HIV positive men without a condom). The per-contact risk of HIV infection for these men is 1 in 1,666."

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2071

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3