Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Positive from a female
      #114157 - 11/11/04 11:02 PM

Can anyone here post a story of a man (hetro)getting the HIV bug from a woman? I have never heard of a man getting the Bug from a woman> We do not count magic Johnson.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PrudeGirl
Unregistered

Re: Positive from a female new
      #114159 - 11/11/04 11:33 PM

Why don't you count Magic Johnson? He's male, and he got it from sleeping around with lots of women...right? Seems to me like that "counts".

PrudeGirl

Anonymous
Unregistered

#114250 - 11/13/04 09:27 AM

Don't believe him. Do you know of any men that have contacted the disease from a woman from insertive sexual intercourse? I have asked this question many times on here and no one has answered. I have a friend that works in western africa and he has been having unprotected sex for 14 years over there and has never caught anything. I find it hard to believe and that was what got my curiosty up. I keep hearing that it happens but Magic Johnson is the only male I know of that claims that he got it from a woman.

I am not saying any of this to make people think that the chance of contacting HIV is not real but would like to hear from a male that has contacted the disease from having insertive unprotected vaginal sex with a female.

rjasin123
Guardian

Reged: 01/27/04
      #114386 - 11/13/04 10:29 PM

You are ill informed.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#114390 - 11/14/04 08:48 AM

Typical response from this site. I am very informed. Even Dr. Bob says it is not that easy to catch. Having or getting knowledge is from asking questions and hopefully you get some intelligent response's.

PrudeGirl
Unregistered

#114612 - 11/14/04 09:01 PM

I don't know anyone specifically, but I believe there are many cases on record of female-to-male transmission. There was a question about this to Dr. Bob just recently (I think...it may have been in the archives), and he was explaining that while it's not as *easy* for a man to get it from a woman, it *is* possible. This is simply due to the way our bodies are made--women have a much larger surface area in the vagina that's being exposed to infected semen, while men have just a small area (the urethra) being exposed to vaginal fluids. But it does happen that way!

Let's put it this way...if you are a male, do you really want to find out the hard way by having unprotected sex with a woman, or would you rather just play it safe? :)

PrudeGirl

Anonymous
Unregistered

#114670 - 11/15/04 09:19 AM

Absolutely I agree 100%. I am passing this information on to my friend in Africa just to let him know how lucky he has been. I told him it was just a matter of time before he catches the disease or something else.
His exact words. I use what they taught me in Vietnam. After sex you take a piss and then pour Jack Daniels on it. He swears he has never caught anything in 14 years. I find it hard to believe as he could have it now and not even know it since he has never been tested. Thanks for the information very well put.

PrudeGirl
Unregistered

#114878 - 11/15/04 08:22 PM

Yikes--you pour Jack Daniels on it?? Sounds like that would burn away not only HIV, but most of your penis as well. Eep.

I think your post pretty much summed everything up: If your friend hasn't been tested in 14 years, how does he (or you) know he doesn't have anything? I hope he will stop taking risks, and start protecting his health. He should probably be checked for other STD's as well, as almost all of them are much easier to get than HIV. Something like 1 in 4 people has HPV (the virus that causes genital warts, and also cervical cancer in women), and HBV (Hepatitis B, another bloodborne pathogen) is 150 times more infectious than HIV (I learned that from watching an OSHA video). And then there's the host of other things that nobody wants--herpes, syphilis, what have you.

I'm glad you're planning to talk to your friend. Dr. Bob (my hero) always reminds us how important it is to protect the gift of our own health!

PrudeGirl

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115395 - 11/17/04 03:48 PM

according to the cdc, female-to-male HIV transmission accounts for about 8% of new MALE cases each year. this number is corroborated by the number of people living with HIV/AIDS in the US (around 380,000 had the virus, of that number, around 30,000 were men who contracted it heterosexually)

That is definitely a disproportionably small (though by no means insignificant) number given the sheer amount of heterosexual sex going on in this country. 90% of all cases among men stem from IDU drug use, unprotected sex with another man, or both.

Combine that figure (the 10% hetero transmission number) with the possibility that the "hetero" men may not be completely truthful, and the number sinks lower.

All in all, can men get it from women? Absolutely. Is common? No. In fact, until a month or two ago, The San Francisco Clinic still had female-to-male listed as a "possible risk" (as opposed to a "known risk.")

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1936

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3