Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ARS all you ever wanted to know
      #112116 - 10/01/04 02:21 AM

Acute Retroviral Syndrome. A syndrome of clinical symptoms associated with primary HIV infection was first described in 1984, in association with an occupationally acquired infection In 1985, several cases were reviewed by a group that described a mononucleosis-like illness in 11 of 12 patients with acute seroconversion One group has defined ARS as the “development of high-level viremia accompanied by immunological activation in the presence of clinical manifestations” of HIV infection In 1997, another group of investigators suggested that because only 20% of their patients with ARS experienced a mononucleosis-like illness, the term ARS should be applied to a more generalized acute febrile illness rather than limited to the earlier mononucleosis-like definition In this regard, fever appears to be the most common symptom reported by several authors, while sore throat is much more variable. Typically, the onset of ARS symptoms has been reported between five and 30 days following exposure to the virus. They last anywhere from 7-28 days. They do not re-appear later.

Top 10 ARS Symptoms reported
1, Fever between 38.6-39.9c 95%
2, Fatigue
3, Sore Throat
4, Weight Loss
5, Sore Muscles 60%
6, Head Ache
7, Nausea
8, Cervical Adenopathy
9, Night Sweats
10, Diarrhea 50%

Rash was only noted in 35 out of 100 in this one study.
Several differential diagnoses must be considered.
Such as Flu, Mono, CMV, Toxoplasmosis, Secondary Syphillis, Hepatitis and primary Herpes Virus.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Broken_Angel1
Guru

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
Re: ARS all you ever wanted to know new
      #112172 - 10/02/04 05:09 AM

Great information. But unfortunately it is misleading the way it is presented....90% of people in America have or will have 1 or all of these "Top 10 ARS Symptoms"...and NOT be HIV...just ill with a virus or flu. Based on this, I should have been freaking out all my life at various times...way before my actual exposure to the HIV virus.

The old saying "a little or incomplete information can be very dangerous thing" unfortunately really applys to this.

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1360

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3