Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

WHAT MY HEALTH WORKER TOLD ME
      #112044 - 09/29/04 11:29 AM

95 percent of hiv cases are dectectable withen 8 weeks.
50 percent after 4 weeks.
It doesnt matter what test is used after 6 weeks.
This is what she told me and now all kinds of legitimate literture is on the net saying the same thing.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: WHAT MY HEALTH WORKER TOLD ME new
      #112047 - 09/29/04 12:49 PM

regarding the percentage I am not too sure...But Mass can use 6 weeks as the window...I am sure that 8 weeks is definately higher than 95%...Home acess is using 1st gen elisa and they stated that elisa gen doen't matter after 6 weeks..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112052 - 09/29/04 05:21 PM

I agree with the last person that posted.....I've been going through this 'window' period now for the first time in my life....Ive learned a lot....I had what most would consider a true high risk encounter.......i had.....ALL...the symptoms...swollen nodes...weak...loss appetite...soar joints....sore and burning muscles...nausea...diareha..ect.......so....I tested 1 week...neg....4 week..neg.....6 weeks..negative...I finally just let it all go....and the next thing I new...here I am ....at almost 11 weeks....I went ahead and ordered...another test...just to get me to the 13 week......I have every ounce of faith that it will also say negative..why?...because everything Ive read on the internet...and most everyone I talk to....says...that a 6 weeks...is almost always conclusive....meaning that....they have never heard of someone negative at 6 weeks...and turning pos..after that.....so...I feel much better....Ive called the Mass...website..and asked about the diff..between their belief of 6 weeks..final...and the CDC final. ...at 3-6 months.....the first thing the lady said to me was...."Listen....We say 6 because that is what the window really is....The CDC is conservative...in there findings...because the want to capture the few cases out of all the cases that will be pos after 3 months."...then she went on to say ".....Sir, Do you really think that the state of Mass. ..would want to misinform people and have them spreading this all over our state?"...."we tell people 6 because it is 6....We dont want people running around our state with this if it can be avoided".......

Now that said.....you may think that she was a little rude...I personally think she was pleasantly blunt......I was freaking out...and when she heard that I had a 6 week negative...and was an average...27 year old male with no other health problems...(cancer....ect)...she asked me why I was still worried about it.....

I tell anyone out there.....this....and Ive posted it before....if it makes you feel better...test at 1 week....4 weeks...6...weeks...8.....ect....whatever....makes you able to get through to the next test...In my experience...I did not feel better and start letting go of it until....6......but ..I am going to do another now that Im at 10......

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112057 - 09/29/04 09:30 PM

Yeah..I am sure the lady in mass is right..so if a person do not have any illness such as cancer or a IV drug user..the 6 weeks neg is enough?so a 10 weeks test is already overkill?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112062 - 09/30/04 02:51 AM

listen to the scientists and not the politicians read what they say the test is perfect at 6 weeks trust your results only a small number of people are poz after 6 weeks and there are reasons for this.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112064 - 09/30/04 03:44 AM

Dr bob and the gang are all scientists but they recommend 12 weeks..what are those people that tested + after 6 weeks?having some illness or something?

Broken_Angel1
Regular

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
      #112169 - 10/02/04 04:50 AM

I am confused. You stated...A health care worker in the State of Mass said:

"and when she heard that I had a 6 week negative...and was an average...27 year old male with no other health problems...(cancer....ect)...she asked me why I was still worried about it..."

Yet, info from the CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL (national goverment organization)diligently working with the virus for over 20 years:

....The CDC is conservative...in there findings...because the want to capture the few cases out of all the cases that will be pos after 3 months."...

OK who determines without a definitive blood test who falls into those "few cases". Would you want to take that chance? Look at your own facts, and try to determine which carries more weight. You make the call, after all it is your life that depends on this.

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112208 - 10/02/04 07:28 PM

Hey i dont trust the 6 week or 3 month im awaiting the 6th becuase somethings wrong with me and all tests are neg

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2123

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3