Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

seroconversion
      #111966 - 09/27/04 01:21 PM

has anyone heard of this after 12 weeks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: seroconversion new
      #111967 - 09/27/04 02:07 PM

its 2-4 weeks after and 3 weeks after done with secro you will test poz 6 weeks is the real window not 12/13 but this is the 12 week site and anyone who says 13 weeks is from another website. listen to the scientists not the politicians

Anonymous
Unregistered

#111969 - 09/27/04 02:53 PM

Thank you so very much!

my2cent
Unregistered

AMFAR new
      #111980 - 09/27/04 10:04 PM

(Chapter 4, Page 53 )

There are four stages to HIV disease

1) Acute Infection Stage (500-1200 CD4s)- begins immediately after hiv enters the body and starts multiplying in infected cells. Acute infection ends about 2-6 weeks later. Acute infection produces no noticeable symptoms in about half of the people affected. The others usually experience flu-like symptoms such as low-grade fever, headache, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, rash, diarrhea, and muscle aches. These symptoms can last 2 weeks to 2 months, but only 20-30% of patients who experience them find it necessary to see a physician. Individuals with severe symptoms during acute infection are more likely are more likely to experience rapid disease progression.

2) Asymptomatic Stage - CD4 Lymphocyte count above 500 - This is the longest stage of HIV disease, lasting an average of 10 years, although in a few people it can be as short as 1 year or as long as 15 years. During this stage, most hiv infected individuals develop few symptoms of HIV disease. It is almost as if the virus has gone underground. This is not however a state of latent infection: in more than 95% of infected people, the virus is rapidly multiplying.

3) Early HIV disease: CD4 200-500 asymptomatic hiv disease gradually changes to early hiv disease during the slow drop in cd4s. the change often becomes apparent with the development of one or more characteristic opportunistic infections (such as candidiasis, herpes simplex disease, shingles, oral hairy leukoplakia. bacterial infections that cause bronchitis, sinusitis, and pneumonia also often increase.

4) Advanced HIV disease (AIDS) CD4 below 200 - Early hiv disease progresses to advance with th e further decline of cd4 cell counts and gradual appearance of serious opportunistic infections and cancers

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112009 - 09/28/04 09:15 PM

The maths doesn't work. Seroconversion illness lasts for a couple of weeks. Between 2-4 weeks symptoms of ARS start. So therefore 4 weeks + 2 weeks ARS symptoms + plus 3 weeks after sero has passed equals 7 -8 weeks. Please clarify your post

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112016 - 09/28/04 10:08 PM

I think you have to rely on th experts on this rather than 'doing the maths'!

I have read on several credible sites:

1. The average time to seroconversion is bewteen 25 days to one month from exposure.

2. The vast majority of people will have seroconverted by 6 weeks. A six-week negative test is a very strong indicitor that you are negative. If you were in Matts and had a true high risk exposure and had symptoms of ARS would they really tell you to go away and not test again after one negative ELISA at six weeks? I am not so sure. I think their logic also depends on the likelyhood of infection in the first place (which, for most people who test, is low) and clinical examination. I might be wrong, of course!

3. Barring people who have supressed immune systems (due to major issues like IVdrug use, or cancer drugs - not "I don't feel well" issues) there have been no recorded cases outside of 13 weeks. Therefore, 13 weeks is as "conclusive" as a scientific test is going to be.

Canadian Class
Unregistered

#112119 - 10/01/04 02:48 AM

There are 2 documented cases by the CDC that state it has happened after 6 months but before 12 months. Now this is 2 out of the millions that have seroconverted. They were both HCW. Delayed seroconversion has been associated with simultaneous exposure to hepatitis C in two cases, one of which resulted in fulminant and fatal HCV (Ridzon, 1997).
CC

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2309

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3