Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Antibody testing for those still confused...
      #11187 - 10/23/00 11:42 AM

Latest info from TheBody regarding testing!! ----
Question:
Dear Dr: I forgot to put the title yesterday, so now I ask the same question again. I had some risk one and half years ago. I did elisa1&2(twice) and resistance test at 15th month. Elisa are negative. CD4 is 830(33%), CD8 is 930(37%) and the ratio is 0.89. I read from the some information that with HIV infection, cd8 goes up and ratio goes below 1. I am very confused. What should I do? How can I be sure I am ok? Please give me some suggestion. Thank you very much

Response:
There are many reasons for minor changes in the CD4/CD8 ratio, and I would look at the elisa tests.

One of the common questions on this and other forums is from people who have tested negative multiple times but are unable to be reassured. It seems that many are so eaten up by guilt, or so obsessed that it is hard to hear the information. So here it is again.

Most people seroconvert to a positive EIA (aka elisa or antibody test) within weeks. By 3 months, 99.9% of those who are infected are going to test positive. If you have a one in one thousand chance that the test is wrong, and you have a single exposure where the risk that you are infected is lets say 1 in 100, the chance that you are the one in one hundred who then has a one in one thousand false negative test is vanishingly small. (Don't worry, I won't go over the statistical theory).

To catch the very small risk of a false negative at 3 months, it is recommended to repeat the test again at 6 months. Although there are a handful of cases that have occurred in the last 15 years where it takes more than 6 months to test positive, this is incredibly rare. A third test essentially rules out most possibility of a problem. So, if you are still worried, a third test at 12 months after exposure could be reasonable, but if it is negative, stop getting tested. You may need some counseling, to help deal with the overwhelming feelings, but you don't need more tests.

Good luck

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.
University of Utah
School of Medicine

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Antibody testing for those still confused... new
      #11190 - 10/23/00 12:22 PM

Here's another link:
Question:
I WROTE IN ABOUT THE NEEDLE STICK AT THE PATIENTS HOUSE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING. THE BEST INFORMATION, THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET IS THAT IT WOULD TAKE AT LEAST 3 MONTHS BEFORE HIV, CAN EVEN SHOW FROM THIS EXPOSER. I HAD A TEST DONE A YEAR AGO, I HAVE ONE DONE EVERY YEAR DUE TO THE WORK I DO. IT WAS NEGATIVE. SO, SHOULD I WAIT THE 3 MONTHS TO GET TESTED OR COULD THIS SHOW UP SOONER? I TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP. I WAS TOLD WAIT THE 3MNTHS BUT START TREATMENT. IS THIS WHAT YOU THINK IS CORRECT??

Dr. Feinberg's Response:
I think it's correct to start treatment as soon as possible. Some people show evidence of seroconversion earlier than 3 months -- this may happen at 6-8 weeks, but sometimes it takes longer, hence the general recommendation to wait 3 months. The reason you should have a baseline HIV test now is to find out whether you have picked up HIV even before this recent needlestick episode. Good luck!

Judith Feinberg, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
.01 times .001 = 1 in 100,000 new
      #11192 - 10/23/00 12:30 PM

The statistics of this speak for themselves. 1 in 100,000 is the "relative" probability of seroconverting beyond 12 weeks. We have like a dozen people on this board right now (1 in particular) that insist they are that 1 in 100,000. How can we paint a better picture? If you have a 12 weeks negative test, you are good to go. Stop coming to hiv sites and selling yourself that you are the outlier. If you think you are, then truly, you should go to Las Vegas or some other gambling site because you would be just as likely to be that single person on earth that will hit the Lottery twice in their life.

I dont mean to make light, but really, life is worth living, and worrying about a risk so small is pointless.

PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
Re: .01 times .001 = 1 in 100,000 new
      #11195 - 10/23/00 01:08 PM

You hit the nail on the head Gary. Bottom line, 12 weeks negative is NEGATIVE. Good luck to all those still waiting on their results. Hope you guys will join the Neg and Convinced club. == PVS

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1502

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3