Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

3 months vs. 6 months testing...
      #111475 - 09/09/04 09:21 PM

If you had sex with KNOWN HIV+, is this mean that your window period is now automatically 6 months? Why less if you don't know the status? Doesn't this sound confusing?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 3 months vs. 6 months testing... new
      #111477 - 09/09/04 10:07 PM

Why take the risk of denying yourself access to treatment?

It is generally thought that the CDC pushed the window out to six months to ensure that those who had week immune systems would have time to produce enough HIV antibodies to register on an ELISA. So that being said a normal healthy person with a normal healthy immune system should seroconvert well within the normal 90 day window. The CDC says that most people will convert within that 90 day window. 97% I believe. The other 3% will seroconvert within 180 days. So I guess the question should be, "If I was intimate with a known HIV positive person, do I want to take a chance on being in that 3%?"

Keep in mind, HIV is very hard to get and there are less than 1 million infected in the US.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2107

 
Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

*
UBB.threads™ 6.2.3