Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Scared in FL
Unregistered

ARS Symptoms?! please reply
      #111429 - 09/08/04 11:27 PM

I just want to thank everyone in advance for reading this post and I pray all who are infected stay in good health i have some questions about a potential exposure. I was having sex with a woman of unknown status (using a condom but broke halfway through the sex and i did finish the job without it ...dumb move) about a week later i came down with a bad soar throat , had nightsweats for 1 or 2 nights leg pain for for a day or so, white spots on my inner cheek and tonsils (that would come off when brushed) , constant head ace ,swollen nodes under my chin and i thought i may have had a fever but i didnt have a thermoitor untill 3 weeks after these symptoms started when i got one my temp was normal after about 4 weeks i went to the hospital and they did test for mono and strep both negative they took a blood sample and the doctor said my white blood cell count was high and he said it was most likely a bactiral infection and gave me some anti biotics and the next day i had some swelling on the right side of my back shoulder area that lasted a few days.All the symptoms went away after a week or so on the anti biotics do u think my symptoms are suggestive of ARS? im going to get Tested after 3 months but im sure its going to come back positive I cant stop thinking about having HIV and im very scared im only 24 and have no one to talk to about this the swelling on my back/shoulder area is freaking me out god bless you all and i pray that they find a cure for this horrid virus soon

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ARS Symptoms?! please reply new
      #111449 - 09/09/04 06:46 AM

I hope for the best for you. I had a similar situation and now I am so stressed out I can't eat or sleep and now I've broken out in hives.

was very upset
Unregistered

#111450 - 09/09/04 10:20 AM

well.....I have no crystal ball. I have no formal training. In fact the only training I have had so far has been life experience. My situation was not so different from yours...I had protected sex...unprotected oral. With the week afterward started feeling horrible....headache...soar throat...sick stomach...achy joints...could not move without them hurting...soar under arms...EVERYTHING that is suggestive of ARS due to hiv infection. I ran out and search the internet.....called all the numbers.....stayed sick for 2 weeks...eventually started getting better......All I can tell you is that is the sickest I have been ......ever. However, I tested negative at 1 week....4 weeks...6 weeks....and am gearing up for my last 3 month test soon. I believe 2 things....first that what everyone says about ARS symptoms being common for so many other things that you cant immediatly 'jump' to conclusions that it is hiv. 2nd.....that no matter what you do, you can't change the fact that it happened...not to beat yourself up about it. It only makes it worse.....I tried to stay off the internet.....stay busy....work hard...play hard...whatever it takes to try and get your mind off of it as much as possible...for me...it almost proved impossible...but with my 4 week negative...I was able to let some of the worry go....with my 6 week negative.....I felt very liberated...

I hope that as similar as you say your situation is to mine...that you will have the same negative outcome....just keep in mind my friend.....that symptoms are common with most all little viruses....get tested as many times as you think it will take to keep you calm...some people will say....only test at 3 months...well....that was not good enough for me......if a 3 week....4 week....6 week....and so on test makes you feel better and can get you through the next week.....have at it......just hang in there...and take it from somebody who knows a little. Dont trust in symptoms.........trust the test. And not to preach at ya....but....my relationship with the Lord has taken a greater turn for the better. Pray if you will....sometimes....that will make all the difference in the world..........it has for me.....good luck...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#111455 - 09/09/04 02:20 PM

Hey Scared in FL,

First, I am sorry for the stress you are going through. I have been there myself and DO completely understand. First, I want to say that most of the research that I have done tells me that you will test positive for HIV in less than 30 days. So if you are at or around the 30 day mark, an inconclusive pretest may help you get out to the 90 day test mark. The CDC used to consider ELISA's 95% conclusive after 30 days, but moved the window out to 6 months to capture folks that had surpressed immune systems. So a healthy person is most likely to test positive with in 30 days.

The ELISA test does not test for HIV, it test for the antibodies that your body produce fight off HIV.

ARS generally last around 2 weeks, more in a few, but mostly not. So that is good news for you, that you still have symptoms.

I have also calculated the odds of you as a man, getting HIV from vaginal sex from a woman of unknown status. I find comfort in the numbers:

According the the US Cencus Bureau, in 2002 there were 144,000,000 women in the US.

According to the CDC, in 2000, 10,459 women became infected with HIV. Because I could not find a number that was the aggregate of all female HIV/AIDS cases in the US, I multiplied that number by 19. I used 1985 as the bench mark year. So by my estimates, from 1985 to 2004, there are around 198,721American Females with HIV/AIDS. So that translates into .00138% of the US female population with HIV/AIDS. Dr. Bob has posted that a hetrosexual male has a .1- .2% chance of contraction of HIV via unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV positive female. So, being conservative, let's use .2% as our basis. Mind you that is .2% (not 20%).

So if I had unprotected vaginal sex with a female of unknown status, I calculate that I have a .000276% chance of getting HIV. Keep in mind that if you wore protection, your odds a nil.

The CDC reports that 50% of people will be able to test positive for HIV Antibodies at 6 weeks. A six week negative with no further exposures now means that you have a .000138% chance that you will test HIV positive. Per the CDC, an ELISA test at 8 weeks should capture about 75% of the HIV positive folks. So an 8 week negative means you know have a .000069% chance of testing positive from unprotected vaginal sex with a female of unknown status. 12 weeks will get you a 97% detection rate according to the CDC. So that means a 12 week negative ELISA will bring you a .00000828% chance of having HIV from unprotected vaginal sex with a female of unknown status.

Here is the really cool part. I did not factor in race or age groups. SO if your like me, Joe white guy, your numbers are even better. Now that being said, I did not post this to encourage others to cheat. Quite the contrary. I posted this so y'all can realize your mistake an not be afraid of your own shadow. It has taken me a while to realize I do not have HIV and I am still not completely over it. But I am getting better. Also keep in mind that 1% is 10 times larger than .1%.

Good luck

Scared In FL
Unregistered

#111457 - 09/09/04 05:07 PM

I want to thank all 3 of you who answered my question and may the lord bless you seems like someones been doing there homework..lol anyways thanks again and i hope all of your tests come back with good results

Broken_Angel1
Guru

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
      #111628 - 09/16/04 02:27 PM

Keep the faith...and let us know your results. We are here for you.

May the ~angels~ watch over you.

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1928

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3