Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

New Merck vaccine? (doesn't make sense)
      #11115 - 10/21/00 04:26 PM

You already read about the new vaccine working in monkeys. But there seem to be certain dubious points in it. First, the virus used was a combo of hiv and siv. The vaccine also was hiv+siv. So it could be that the vaccine works against the siv and not the hiv. (because the investigators themselves say that hiv takes such a long time to show symptoms that they had to mix the two in the first place). Dubious research, eh? As someone said elsewhere, its like mixing ebola and influenza viruses and claiming the influenza is causing all the symptoms of ebola. What do you think about this?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mental_case
Guardian

Reged: 08/20/00
Re: New Merck vaccine? (doesn't make sense) new
      #11117 - 10/21/00 05:02 PM

i think this adds nothing to the board or is helping anyone here.maybe asking one of the experts for their opinion would make more sense.yes i hope one day there will be some sort of vaccine or something but why would you want to pick apart the efforts that they are putting in in finding one?
this is the problem with posters like you. you do not think about what you are posting. at least there are people out there trying to find a cure or vaccine and their efforts should be applauded not criticized.
what good could come out of a post like this?
tell me.
maybe one of us is sitting home with the answer for these Dr's?
or maybe you have it?
stop trying to get people MORE worried on this board or put anymore doubt and despair in their hopes then they allready have.
...mc

Anonymous
Unregistered

#11119 - 10/21/00 05:37 PM

Hey sorry man! I did not mean that to come out that way. I just wanted to have an informed discussion on this. I too hope and pray that a successful vaccine would be found very soon so this hiv fear will go away. Still I would like to know your views. Thanks. (actually this is very good news because a major drug company (Merck) is working on hiv vaccines).

Jackie Blue
Unregistered

#11132 - 10/21/00 11:38 PM

Actually these tests look to be for furthering the studies of how to mutate the DNA in HIV. While it may have worked on the SIV the information they learn can be transferred to HIV. If I read it right, changing the DNA in HIV may make it easier for the body to fight it, thus the possiblity of not progressing to AIDS.

J

mental_case
Guardian

Reged: 08/20/00
      #11140 - 10/22/00 03:14 AM

that would seem correct as none of the monkeys in the test ended up with aids.
oh and i am sorry if your intentions were good. the way it was worded threw me off.there have been so many negative things going on lately with the board i thought you were the culprit or just as bad.
suggestion use a name it really helps differentiate between everyone on this board (you don't have to register)
there are so many people posting and so many stories they all become a blur.
....mc

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1532

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3