Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
SCARED_CRAZY

Reged: 08/24/04
CAN THIS HAPPEN?
      #110949 - 08/28/04 09:32 AM

I am working in a Departmental store with the petrol station.
There a lady customer came in asking for BAND AID for her open would profously bleeding. and i being and customer service manager. went out to help her and tried to put BAND AID with bare hands with full care so that no blood from her wound can touch my hands... while washing my hands i realised that my hand were dry and there was bit of DRY cracks on my tip of my fingers, which were no open cracks or painful was JUST DUE TO DRYNESS as U CAN SEE SOMETIMES IN WINTER UNDER UR PALM, then the thing which is worrying me is there might be a touch of a drop of her blood from her wound which must have touched my finger tips right on the cracks. and must have went in my blood stream. I M WORRIED PLEASE HELP!!!

PLEASE CLARIFY!!!

Even if thinking that i had some cuts of skin due to open of card board curtoon to refill of grocery..
and then a little bit of blood must have touched my those unknowingly cuts...
OR it should be open wound to get infected.. means do my hand to bleed profousely...
1) how much blood is required to pass infection this way
2) How much blood should be present to cause infection and the CUTS should be visible and bleeding for infection to occur..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
my2cent
Unregistered

AMFAR HANDSBOOK new
      #110951 - 08/28/04 01:13 PM

Chapter 3 , Page 35

Throughout the world, people can contract HIV infection in three possible ways:

1) Through sexual contact, either homosexual or heterosexual. Heterosexual contact is the leading means of HIV transmission worldwide, and the fastest growing mode of HIV transmission in the nation.

2) Through the contact with blood or other bodily fluids, blood products, or tissues of an infected person. this usually occurs by inculation of HIV through needle sharing among users of illicit drugs; much more rarely, by accidental needle stick or splashes of blood on mucous membranes; and extremely rarely, through sustained contact of infected blood with breaks in the skin.

3) Through transfer of the virus from an infected mother to her infect before or during birth, or shortly after birth through breast-feeding. This mother-to-infect transfer is also known as perinatal transmission. Perinatal transmission is in rapid decline in the US.

Transfer of a virus from mother to infant is known as vertical transmission, which refers to transfer of the virus from one generation to the next. This term, along with horizontal transmission is used often in the scientific literature. horizontal transmission refers to transfer of the virus from one person to another in the population. Sexual transmission and blood-to-blood transmission are both examples of horizontal transmission.

Free HIV particles have been isolated from blood, semen, vaginal fluid, and breast milk. Other body fluids in which HIV is found include cerebrospinal fluid, which bathces the brain and spinal cord; synoviral fluid, which batches the surfaces of joints; pleural fluid, which occupies the narrow space between the lungs and the chest wall; and amniotic fluid, which surrounds the fetus. Researchers have also isolated HIV from saliva, tears, feces, and urine, in which it is sometimes present in very small amounts. No cases of HIV transmission through these fluids have been fully documented.

Jess

Reged: 07/31/04
Re: CAN THIS HAPPEN? new
      #110953 - 08/28/04 02:11 PM

You may have changed your name, but I've heard this story before numerous times, Worried Well. Look, usually it would take a big open wound that would pass the disease directly to the blood and alot of blood from the infected person. Your experience does carry a risk however since you were working with blood. why didn't you put on latex gloves to protect yourself while doing this?? Wait 6 weeks and have a test, because you seem to post on here numerous times with the same story. But if you were careful with the blood, I wouldn't worry too much..but seeing that you did work around the blood without gloves, I would just have a test to put my mind at rest because you sound like you have been losing alot of sleep over this..its understandable. No one wants the disease. Talk to your doctor also..it may help. Good luck to you and stay safe.- Jess

p.s. since you are a manager, I'd look into keeping gloves around just in case this does happen again. its better safe than sorry!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: AMFAR HANDSBOOK new
      #110965 - 08/28/04 10:12 PM

key word fully documented.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1562

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3