Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

3 months vs. 6 months window. Let's settle this!
      #110803 - 08/25/04 05:58 PM

Okay, if you had a QUESTIONABLE exposure it is 3 months. If you had sex with someone KNOWN or VERY LIKELY to have HIV, then your window period is 6 months. YOU CAN CLARIFY THIS WITH CDC AND VERY KNOWLEGABLE DOCTORS. So for most people, it is 3 months window. Otehrwise, it is 6 months.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 3 months vs. 6 months window. Let's settle this! new
      #110848 - 08/26/04 12:38 PM

you are incorrect in your relations here. The window period has nothing to do with your exposure or level of risk. It is merely a timeframe when antibodies show up. If you perform a higher risk activity and get infected, this doesn't mean it'll take longer to develop antibodies - what it means is that maybe you should test out to 6 months to be sure if you're worried.

95% of people will develop antibodes and thus test positive at 3 months after exposure. By 6 months, virtually 100% will test positive. This is why you hear about 3 and 6 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 3 months vs. 6 months window. Let's settle this! new
      #110905 - 08/27/04 01:09 PM

3 months is conclusive 99.9% of the time. The only time a 6 month test is recommend is if the person you had sex with IS HIV+ FOR A FACT, not assumed, but known and confirmed and a DR has a reason to believe you have an unusual immune system or autoimmune disease that may delay antibody producing. This scenario does not affect most people, so stop the debate on 3-6 months. 3 months is conclusive almost all of the time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1381

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3