Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some advice for those in the window period
      #10916 - 10/18/00 04:20 AM

Rather than respond to every single post to people scared to death during the waiting period, I'll just post this advice for those going through this very difficult time. I went through this myself and I have some advice which has helped me think past the nightmare and worries. First of all there is no miracle to get you out of it except for getting your test results but it certainly helps to think outside the box. I believe most people fear HIV and AIDS for a couple of reasons. One reason is fear of their friends, family, everyone they know finding out and having their life completely change. Another reason is that it is a terminal illness and death is certain. Although with modern medicine, life with HIV can be lengthened perhaps to the point of a normal lifespan even. Now this is purely my observation, but the main reason why I believe so many people are worried and scared is because many of them are young (not senior citizens at least) and many have not faced a terminal illness or death type of situation. Speaking from my own experience, I was facing death for the first time for real and I was only in my twenties. If you take a step back and think for a moment. We will all die one day. This is inevitable. Also, no one knows when we will die or how we will die. There is no use thinking about it. Imagine if you lived like this, you'd be afraid to walk on the street, drive a car, take an airplane, sit on a public toilet, have your teeth cleaned, etc. because something may happen to you. So rather then think this way, think about living! For every day of your life that you are awake and alive, live that day to the fullest. I don't mean put yourself at risk but live each day so that you are happy. Think about it, most likely you will face this situation again! When's the next time you will need to go to the doctor? Prostate cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, heart disease, heart attack, altzeimers, diabetes, high blood pressure etc. etc. You name it, most of us will suffer some kind of disease sometime and in many cases you'll face fear of death again. It's inevitable and you can't prepare for it. You can certainly live healthy and that's what you should do from now on but don't neglect the fact that these are things you have to face while living. And I haven't even mentioned other things such as accidents and the risks that people take like driving while intoxicated or even sleepy, or getting in a car with someone who is not fit to drive. I can keep on naming things that poses risks but you get the point. I think it's sad yet true when some people worry about this HIV thing every day yet go out and drive drunk one day without even worrying. Life is full of risks and accidents and mistakes happen. Therefore, stop tormenting yourself. Assess your risks, ask some questions, decide when to take the test, then MOVE ON and LIVE! Don't brood and worry while you are waiting. It's not worth it. It's important to think beyond the situation you are in and think of your life as a whole and as a mortal human being on Earth. I hope this helps.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PVS
Guru

Reged: 09/19/00
Re: Some advice for those in the window period new
      #10934 - 10/18/00 11:46 AM

Thank you for the great post. Yes, we must all continue to live. Life indeed is to short to waste on brooding or fear. Take care and good luck!! == PVS

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1161

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3