Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
wxkid23

Reged: 08/03/00
A little worried..
      #10882 - 10/17/00 04:17 PM

Well some of you may remember me some of you may not.

I had a low risk exposure last late Nov. and went on to have what I *thought* was ARS symptoms about 2 weeks after the 27th of Nov. I had a High fever for over a week..Sore Throat...dotted Rash all over my chest and back.And I tested negative for mono and some other things at the doc's.

I got Tested For HIV In early Febuary which was 80 days after the exposure.

Now Ive heard that usually when u have ARS that shows that u are serconverting..Correct?Now wouldent ur test almost surely Be positive 50 days after ARS?

I have since excepted being Negative and moved on..But Lately I have gotten worried,I have CFS..and have for the last year..which is a very newly discovered disease the last several years and I have Constant headaches and am offen tired most days.and It is a disease That weakenes the immune system...and Eventually can cause Cancer in the future..thought its quite unknown..Now since I have a weaker immune system does that mean I may not of been able to produce HIV antibodies even though I had ARS?and A Test at 80 days wouldent of been good enough since I havea weak immune system and get sick alot?

Please respond..

Philip

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mental_case
Guardian

Reged: 08/20/00
Re: A little worried.. new
      #10892 - 10/17/00 06:56 PM

not a professional opinion but i highly doubt it.
best wishes...mc

wdu
Fanatic

Reged: 08/17/00
      #10906 - 10/17/00 09:05 PM

I doubt that you will seroconvert late because of your "weak" immune system. Unless you have been reading posts the last couple of days, you should accept your results at 80 days. Now, there are other types of infections that will cause similar symptoms. Some may last for months. You should get another check up at the doctors. If you are still worried, get another antibody test.

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #10920 - 10/18/00 10:05 AM

I usually dont respond to someone until I have read the entire thread of responses. I dont know what MC or the other person has said yet, so forgive me if I repeat anything.

If you have been diagnosed with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), I think you have your answer to your questions. CFS is closely associated with the Epstein-Barr virus, the same virus which presents as Mono when we are teenagers or early adults.

My guess, since all the symptoms you describe are closely associated with CFS, you did not have ARS. Your exposure was exceptionally low risk as I recall.

Saying you have a weakened immune system is really overplaying the reality a bit. YOu have an immune system that is actively engaged in trying to drive EBV back into dormancy. EBV is a herpesvirus that is very hard to beat, especially when it comes back as CFS. Even with this, unless you take immunosuppressive drugs or have had chemo or something that obliterates your good t-cells or nukes your lymphatic system, you would still produce hiv antibodies. See, look at as if you got 2 cuts at the same time... one on the left arm and one on the right arm. Your body fights to heal both wounds at the same time. It doesnt just work on the left arm, declare victory, and then move on. Viruses in the bloodstream work the same way. Part of the immune system will focus on invader #1 and part on invader #2.

Now, what I would venture to say is that since you are actively fighting EBV, your susceptibility to getting hiv is higher than someone 100% healthy. There are those that say that some high risk exposures actually get the virus, but their immune system is so strong at the outset, that the few viral cells that invade are killed before they can find a host cell and replicate.

Anyways, too much info ....! You dont have hiv in my opinion, but I think you might benefit emotionally from a repeat test at this point. Its almost a year, so the results are as conclusive as they will ever get.

Play safe, take care of you, and stop worrying. Worry will prolong your EBV relapse. Good luck.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1735

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3