Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Should I or should I not get tested for HIV?
      #106731 - 08/05/04 10:56 PM

Hi there...

I have never been tested for HIV before and I am a neurotic with anxiety issues.
After feeling like I have swollen glands for the past 2 months, my family doctor examined me and told me I didn't. I told him that I was afraid about HIV since I recently had protected sex with a former IV drug user (she tested negative recently, and I was there for the results).
Basically, I am afraid to get tested because I am scared to death of AIDS and HIV, and have had 5 sexual partners with whom I have always used condoms with, except my ex-fiancée who had been tested for HIV (negative) and was with for 3 years before we decided to not get married since she cheated one me (we didn't have sex before or after the incident).

Anyway, I have talked to like 3 doctors, 5 counsellors, etc about it and they think that I am not at any significant risk, but I can't stop thinking about what if, what if...?

So, everytime I get bold enough to go, I am not in the right area or position to do it, then when I am, I get frightened.

Could someone give me a pep talk or some encouragement to go for it? Perhaps people who are waiting for results, or who have had similar ordeals?

Thanks a bunch..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Should I or should I not get tested for HIV? new
      #106874 - 08/06/04 11:33 AM

If you have to ask the question, the answer is YES. If for no other reason, so you can sleep better at night.

Take yourself down to the pharmacy and pick up a Home Access test for around $60.00. Prick your finger and let the blood run onto the collection sheet and FedEx it in. Call three days later and here that you are negative. You will sleep much better. I actually like calling in rather than being made to go into the Doctor's office.

tammy

Reged: 08/26/02
      #106875 - 08/06/04 11:53 AM

It is so easy to become obsessed about this. I know, i have lived it. If you have not taken any unnecessary risks, as i see you haven't in your question posted. then do not worry. But if it will help you, get tested and believe your negative result and let it go! Get up the courage to take the test for your own well being, and then move on with your life and put HIV behind you, and play safe from your negative on.

MY2cent
Unregistered

#107533 - 08/07/04 09:50 PM

If you have to question whether you do or you don't. why not just do it? Its a simple blood test, it can be done anonymously, it could save your life because then you'll know for sure. And, it is will save your life from the constant wonder you are now in. If you have MS, or Cancer, or Mad Cow, or SARS or diabetes or {fill in the blank} wouldn't you want to know? Early detection is key to managing any disease.....
To quote Nike, Just Do it! I did....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#107848 - 08/09/04 11:01 AM

It is hard you are right, but it was hard for anyone who had to get tested. All of these people who posted are right, it's best to know the results so you won't drive yourself crazy about the whole thing. You would not be posting on this website unless you were genuinely worried about the entire situation, and I have a feeling you will only obsess about this whole thing unless you can know for sure. For an entire year, I was worried about HIV and getting tested, and all of this while in my first year of college, and all because of one simple drunken mistake with a girl I didn't know. Luckily though, everything turned out alright and I learned a big lesson. If I could approach the situation again, the one thing I would change is my behavior afterwards. For an entire year I worried everytime I bled, bleached anything I touched and just wished I was dead at some points. Instead of just getting tested, I lost an entire year of my life! I am only a teenager, and I went out and did it, and SO CAN YOU! Besides, judging from your story, the numbers are on your side, so you really have nothing to fear. In addition, when you do get tested, tell the doctor your situation and ask if you should get tested for Hepatitis B and C.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#107945 - 08/10/04 01:40 AM

IM SCARED TO DEATH TO GET TESTED ALSO EMAIL ME AT MYDONTAY@AOL.COM tIFFY

Anonymous
Unregistered

#107946 - 08/10/04 01:48 AM

WELL I DONT KNOW WHY BUT KNOW I FEEL CONFIDENT ABOUT GETTING TESTED AFTER READING THAT ABOUT THE YOUNG MAN WHO GOT DRUNKSO IF U SEE THIS HIT ME UP SO I CAAN THANK U AT MYDONTAY@AOL.COM

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1964

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3