Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

testing at 6 weeks; high risk exposure
      #103551 - 07/26/04 06:22 PM

Should I test at 6 weeks using Elisa. I don't hve the money for the other expensive tests so I was wondering if 6 weeks would be considered good instead of waiting 3 months. Feedbacl

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: testing at 6 weeks; high risk exposure new
      #103567 - 07/26/04 07:26 PM

For Elisa 12/13 weeks is conclusive. The Dept of Mass says 6 weeks is conclusive. I will say that any NEG test be it at 6 , 8, or 12 weeks is good news.
Good luck and be safe...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#103620 - 07/27/04 01:09 AM

a 6 weeks is like a 95% all clear mark and 12 weeks is 100%

Anonymous
Unregistered

#103818 - 07/28/04 12:52 AM

Here's my two cents...About a year and a half ago I had a high risk exposure and researched the window period quite a bit. At that time the CDC was preaching 6 months all the way however health dept. (New York to be exact) was telling me that chances are that 6 weeks is all that is really needed but just to be on the safe side they double the window period to rule out anyone out of the norm. The GMHC was saying 3 months. Out of curiosity I recently called the GMHC and asked about the window period again and now they are saying that anyone who is concerned should get tested anywhere between 4-8 weeks. I don't know if that is because of the new rapid tests or more studies became available. Perhaps they are in the process of lowering the window period to 6-8 weeks. I believe that mass. has been sticking to 6 weeks for a while but I'm 100% sure it's just something that I remember coming across on the internet. Some of the European countries have also been saying 6-8 weeks for a while but we all know that the U.S is probably the most conservative country in the world and that is because we constantly sue.
CDC is a government agency and they are ultra conservative. In the end it is what you are comfortable with. I believe that there is enough information out there for one to make an informative decision and some people are just more comfortable than others. Personally I don't think that our health departments especially Ny which has the highest hiv infected population would be comfortable telling the public that in reality 6 weeks is fine if they didn't have concrete medical evidence to back them up or else they would have been shut down a long time ago.

Jess
Unregistered

#103832 - 07/28/04 10:07 AM

Hi, you can test at 6 weeks. It will be a good indication of what the 12-13 week result might be. About 50% of people will turn positive after 25 days if they caught the virus. Have this test to relax a bit and then have another in another 6-7 weeks. I hope everything is okay. Good luck and stay safe. -Jess

Anonymous
Unregistered

#110289 - 08/19/04 12:54 PM

Would an oraquick rapid at 6 weeks in new york be conclusive.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1665

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3