Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
BigMistake
Fanatic

Reged: 08/14/00
6 months in Europe!!
      #10207 - 09/28/00 08:54 AM

HI you guys.

I finally got the courage to phone a local test centre for HIV. And they said they won't test me until 6 months have passed!!! Amazing. I thought Europe was strong on the 3 month window. Obviously not. I'll have to do something else now.
BM

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
Re: 6 months in Europe!! new
      #10209 - 09/28/00 09:00 AM

They wont test you until 6 months? Something is hosed up with that buddy. Call someone else! Thats absurd. Europe IS big on the 3 month. Remember Essy in London.....and Jam in Germany....all big 3 month advocates.

DutchGuy::
Unregistered

Re: 6 months in Europe!! new
      #10211 - 09/28/00 10:28 AM

Hi,

What's the difference between testing in Europe and for example the US? If you are negative after 3 months, you can assume -ve for 95% at all. That have to say 6 months because no one (or just one!) seroconverted after that periode of time, so they can say for sure (99,9%) that you are negative. The average time needed for seroconverting is 25 days!, the usual period is 3 months, and the maximal period is 6 months. I tested -ve at 2 months, although I have had symptoms, even now.

Greetings,

DutchGuy

Anonymous
Unregistered

You are wrong! new
      #10217 - 09/28/00 12:38 PM

I dont know where in Europe, but if it happened in France, Germany or the UK, then you are wrong. The government and health departments over there all say 3 MONTHS. You are wrong.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Europe lying to people? new
      #10222 - 09/28/00 01:00 PM

Dutch, i assume you are an European. What if wrong with your countries? Excuse but in France or Germany or UK they dont say hey 3 months is 95%, 6 months is 99.99%. NO! they say 3 months IS ENOUGH, you are negative, move on. So are they lying to people? Why they say: no more tests after a negative 3 months?

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
ENOUGH!!!! with the window period! new
      #10226 - 09/28/00 03:18 PM

People have got to stop debating this. It takes too much energy away from getting through the stress and worry that those waiting for tests or test results must cope with.

Its an individual choice thing. 3 months negative is fine for me and I have moved on, never to look back. Ultra-conservative organizations like the CDC still say 6 months so that they can catch the stragglers and the people who dont know when they were exposed, because they were exposed so many times they dont know a real date. And then, there are still some old-school physicians, who only know as much about hiv as the "primary doctor retirement communities" magazine tells them, so they stick by the 15 year old standard of "test out to a year".

Debating amongst ourselves is pointless. You have to do what is comfortable to you. In today's day and age, the MAJORITY of people will support the 3 month rule. Take it for what it is worth!

Some folks will never get past this. They will test for years and continue to deny the test results. Fear of hiv is a chronic illness - as I have said before.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Dutchguy new
      #10271 - 09/29/00 05:09 AM

In one more month, your result will be negative and the test centre will kick you out!!! And you can never go back again!!

DutchGuy:::
Unregistered

Re: Europe lying to people? new
      #10272 - 09/29/00 05:46 AM

Yes, I'm from the Netherlands. Yes, they say you can really know for sure if you're tested after SIX months. But what's the case? If you have many high-risk exposures (i.e. sex with someone who is +ve), it's always necessary to test yourself. In the Netherlands we are dealing with 3,000 HIV+ females on a total of let's say 6 million females in our country. Therefor as an heterosexual male there is in theory a very little risk that you are dealing with HIV+ female, but it is possible! Even if you had sex with that female, you may not have been infected. But that doesn't make sense at all, one doesn't know exactly at which time a person is seroconverting, but it's likely to seroconvert within 3 months. The production of antibodies normally starts after 3,4 weeks within healthy people. I was suffering from an pharangytis with high fever and swollen glands after six weeks of exposure. Two weeks after that I tested negative, so I asked myself at that time "is it reasonable to assume that enough antibodies were present in my blood", I don't really know. I hope so but I don't know for sure, I'll have to wait two more weeks for the 3 months period and when that's gonna be negative I'll move on with my life because there is no live at all at the moment, just stress!!!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1712

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3