Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

LSJ
      #10143 - 09/27/00 12:09 PM

Can someone explain to me what geographic tongue is? Are white lesions a sign of geographic tongue? And has anyone on this board experinced white lesions before?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: LSJ new
      #10145 - 09/27/00 12:24 PM

I have had geographic tounge since I was a teenager. My dentist assured me it is not anything to worry about. Sort of like freckles. Some people have them, some people don't. All it means is that the tounge, instead of being smooth, contains small indentations, craters, etc. Just a very uneven surface. It is not an attractive sight, but completely benign. Hope this helps!

GaryNPA
Guru

Reged: 08/01/00
      #10147 - 09/27/00 12:28 PM

Geographic toungue, or "benign migratory glossitis" is an autoimmune condition, with no close correlation to any major illness, such as hiv. It its typically characterized by a smooth, glossy look to a patch or patches of your tongue. It could also appear as a pink or red patch on the tip or edge or your tongue. Some people have deep cracks that appear. It is important to note that geographic tongue takes on many images and presents differently to some people. Only your dentist or ENT doctor can really say. However, a lot of people have geographic tongue, but because they have a fear of hiv infection, assume that it must be thrush - a condition that is associated with more advanced hiv infection and typically would not occur until years into the disease.

White sores or ulcerations are typically apthous ulcers or canker sores and can be caused by vitamin imbalance, stress, or from biting your cheek, tongue, etc.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#10156 - 09/27/00 01:16 PM

I also have developed a case of geographic tongue (GT) also known as benign migratory glossitis. I don't want to speculate about the white "lesions" on your tongue but, from a personal perspective, my GT began from the onsent of tremendous stress. The stress was related to what I believed was an exposure to HIV (person of unknown status). Needless to say, approx. 5 to 6 weeks post exposure, I began to develop white lines (I thought they were lesions too) on the tip and sides of my tongue. Immediately, I thought it was HIV-related thrush. However, after considerable research and many visits to physicians' offices, it was determined to be a case of GT. In fact, the white spots are not lesions, but instead, smooth blisters. They often increase in size, change shape, disappear, or appear in other areas of the tongue (thus "migratory"). They are often stress related or represents a reaction to allergies. In my case, I have tested negative to HIV beyond the three months window. My stress levels have dramatically fallen and, simultaneaously, the GT is seeming to get better. My doctor mentioned vitamin supplements and an increase in ruffage intake (assortments of raw vegetables). He indicates that although most cases cure in weeks to months, some cases of GT take years to go away (depends on alleviating the underlying causes...i.e. stress, allergens). Some patients respond well with zinc losenges or zinc supplaments (no more that 30 mg). If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know. Good Luck. T

Anonymous
Unregistered

#10163 - 09/27/00 05:23 PM

I think I have experiencing exactly what you described, and to hear that it is not HIV related puts my mind at ease! I have been asking this question a lot lately and you have been the most helpful thus far! Thanks you so much!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: LSJ...No thanks needed new
      #10167 - 09/27/00 06:00 PM

Anything I can do to help!! I was scared to death with my GT condition, especially considering that I had never experienced such symptoms before. Stress can absolutely "kill" you emotionally and screw you up "physically". This board was a savior for me! In regards to GT, I also wanted to mention that I was urged by my doctor to avoid acidic fruits (oranges, lemons, etc), wines, and nuts (no pun intended). It seems that these can aggrevate GT and create flare ups. Of course it varies by person, but you really need to adjust your diet until you figure out what doesn't aggrevate your GT. Since they really don't know the primary cause of GT (other than it is not a serious problem), there are many remedies (as I mentioned in the previous post) that have been proven to help some but not others. It is just a matter of minimizing stress levels and re-balancing your body's chemical, mineral and vitamin stores (which, in few cases, can take a while). My doctor also recommendeded that I try gargling with mouthwash only if it is not too harsh for my tongue. If it was too harsh, he said just stop gargling. In 95% of cases, time is the real factor for healing GT. Good Luck!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1851

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3