Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I Okay?
      #101180 - 07/11/04 03:44 AM

It has been four years now since I last had unprotected sex or even sex at all. The only illness I came down with was the flu which came about seven months later. I cried like a baby when I found out that most people with HIV experience a flu-like illness shortly after exposure. My mom told me that I came down with the flu because I was always taking showers in the morning, and the flu was going around. She seriously doubts I have HIV because I haven't had any unexplainable illnesses and I'm not constantly sick. Is she right?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Am I Okay? new
      #101182 - 07/11/04 04:31 AM

take a hiv antibody test to be sure

Dutchman
Unregistered

Re: most probably new
      #101184 - 07/11/04 06:37 AM

Hello Anonymous,

The chance to get infected with HIV after a one time unprotected sexual episode with someone of unknown status, is indeed really small. You don't write what unprotected sex you joined in, but if it was vaginal intercourse, than in the meantime the chances you would had pass away by a traffic accident is somewhat comparable. It's not something to worry about day in day out. As it is still an worrying issue for you after 4 (!!!) years i would seriously consider a HIV-test, mainly for mental reasons. Especially if this event has bothered you to have a sexual life since the year 2000.

But remember that the fact that you feel healthy now cannot exclude HIV infection for 100%. It can take 5-10 years (or even longer) before HIV infected people experience the first signs of infection.

As you have had no further complaints than a plain flu 7 months after the encounter (which cannot have anything to do with a recent HIV infection, it's far far behind the 6 weeks) your chances to be alright will be the same as each other person who enjoyed in a one-time comparable unsafe sexual episode with someone of unknow status.

Play always safe from now on and you'll almost sure just be alright. Go on with your life, don't get stuck in the past. If you have more questions feel free to ask them.

Best regards,
Dutchman

Jess
Unregistered

Re: Am I Okay? new
      #101188 - 07/11/04 09:58 AM

Usually after possible exposure, you will have symptoms about 1-2 weeks after or even sooner. The symptoms can range from mild to severe. But you say you have had unprotected sex and I strongly recommend you going to have a test to be sure you don't have it-- or any other STD for that matter. Some STDs can go unnoticed ..for example syphilis. And after the ARS symptoms, a person would feel fine not even knowing they had the virus and it goes unnoticed. And they might not even realize until years later, that something is wrong. Anyways, you have been having risky behavior, so I'd definitely go get a test done. As for your mom, she wouldn't know what was going on in your body without a blood test. you are clearly out of the window period (assuming if you haven't had any more unprotected sex in 4 years). Good luck to you and always stay safe.- Jess

MY2CENT
Unregistered

GAY CANCER? new
      #101191 - 07/11/04 10:54 AM

Are you serious? HIV is a human disease. Please explain all the infected women in Africa to me.

MY2CENT
Unregistered

3 Possible Ways to contract HIV new
      #101192 - 07/11/04 10:57 AM

Chapter 3 , Page 35

Throughout the world, people can contract HIV infection in three possible ways:

1) Through sexual contact, either homosexual or heterosexual. Heterosexual contact is the leading means of HIV transmission worldwide, and the fastest growing mode of HIV transmission in the nation.

2) Through the contact with blood or other bodily fluids, bloood products, or tissues of an infected person. this usually occurs by inculation of HIV through needle sharing among users of illicit drugs; much more rarely, by accidental needle stick or splashes of blood on mucous membranes; and extremely rarely, through sustained contact of infected blood with breaks in the skin.

3) Through transfer of the virus from an infected mother to her infect before or during birth, or shortly after birth through breast-feeding. This mother-to-infect transfer is also known as perinatal transmission. Perinatal transmission is in rapdi decline in the US.

Transfer of a virus from mother to infant is known as vertical transmission, which refers to transfer of the virus from one generation to the next. This term, along with horizontal transmission is used often in the scientific literature. horizontal transmission refers to transfer of the virus from one person to another in the population. Sexual transmission and blood-to-blood transmission are both examples of horizontal transmission.

Free HIV particles have been isolated from blood, semen, vaginal fluid, and breast milk. Other body fluids in which HIV is found include cerebrospinal fluid, which bathces the brain and spinal cord; synoviral fluid, which batches the surfaces of joints; pleural fluid, which occupies the narrow space between the lungs and the chest wall; and amniotic fluid, which surrounds the fetus. Researchers have also isolated HIV from saliva, tears, feces, and urine, in which it is sometimes present in very small amounts. No cases of HIV transmission through these fluids have been fully documented.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1262

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3