Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please help
      #100705 - 07/02/04 01:25 PM

just found this site...great people supporting others!
Towards end of last year I had unprotected vaginal penatrative sex. About a month later I felt a strong throbbing in my penis that went into my testicles then into my gut/bowel - it was all over in a few seconds. I then developed thrush on my penis but this cleared up after treatment. I dreamt in January that I had contracted HIV and have suffered tremendous stress ever since although I didn t get any sort of fever etc and still haven t.Now I have muscle aches, joint aches pit aches and groin aches and twice in the last 6 weeks I ve had diarreah like water....which I don t ever recall having before in my life!
I m very scared and concerned by these events can someone offer any support or comfort. I rang a helpline and they gave me some stats which made me feel better but I ve relapsed since then. My current g/f had diarreah like water 2 weeks ago and she had never had it before either. Been drinking 8/10 pints a night since I had my dream so thats not helping either!
I feel doomed.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Please help new
      #100708 - 07/02/04 02:53 PM

Hello Anonymous,

It's all but logical that you would have contracted HIV from this one time episode of unsafe sex. Although you just cannot rule it out without a test.

Even more improbable is your worst case scenario that you would have also infected your girlfiend in the meantime. It's in your head.

The fact that you did not experience any flu-like illness in the time-frame 2-6 weeks after the unprotected sex does increase your chances to be OK. Whatever complaints you have now does not matter, they cannot be because a recent HIV infection anymore. So having diareah in last 6 weeks is irrelevant, nor your aches.

I'm sure you know that drinking alcohol is no solution, it's time for ACTION: take the HIV test. You don't have to be scared. If something has happened it has happened already. A test doesn't change this. But in the case someone is infected, it's important to know because with the new medications someone can possibly get aged old.

So again, chances are so much in your favour that you'll find out that you're alright. And then...then it's time to take a pint and say cheers.

Best regards,
Dutchman

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100716 - 07/02/04 08:40 PM

So, Dutchman, are you saying that it's extremely unlikely that a male with contract the hiv virus from one exposure? My situation was similar to his although I haven't shown any symptoms. Right now, I'm at 4 weeks and will probably test in another two weeks. Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100717 - 07/02/04 09:05 PM

Isn't it amazing what stress will do!! D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100724 - 07/03/04 04:25 AM

What do you mean by that DJ?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100732 - 07/03/04 05:46 AM

New York Post
March 19, 2004
THE public health experts - and their amen corner in the media - owe Helen Gurley Brown an apology.
The legendary Cosmopolitan editor was vilified in 1993 when she published a piece called "The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS." But she was right.
Eleven years later, Details is asking: "Whatever Happened to AIDS and Straight Men?" The article states, "A disease-free man who has unprotected sex with a drug-free woman stands a one in 5 million chance of contracting HIV."
The story by Kevin Gray also cites a joke that made the rounds of the New York City Department of Health as statistics came in showing that the predicted spread of AIDS to heterosexuals wasn't happening:
"What do you call a man who got HIV from his girlfriend? . . . A liar." "I feel somewhat vindicated," Brown told PAGE SIX.
Michael Fumento, who wrote the original 1990 book titled "The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS," said, "I'm not waiting for an apology. It's not going to happen."
When Basic Books published Fumento's tome, "Distributors refused to handle it," he says. "Stores refused to carry it. And at many stores that did have it, clerks left it in the basement."
Celia Farber, who wrote an AIDS column in Spin magazine, was routinely attacked because she refused to rehash the propaganda put out by AmFAR and other groups.
"Everybody who was wrong got journalism awards. Everybody who was right got all but driven from the profession," Farber said.
Farber exposed the conspiracy between profit-hungry drug companies, researchers who wanted more funding, homosexuals who didn't want the disease to be known as "the gay plague," and conservatives who wanted to turn back the sexual revolution. "They believed in what they were doing, not what they were saying," Fumento said. "They knew it was lies. They felt the end justified the means."
At a recent editorial meeting at Seed, the new science magazine, Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Laurie Garrett supposedly threatened to quit when a colleague suggested a story about Peter Duesberg, a leading retrovirologist.
Duesberg lost his funding, his laboratory, and his students when he announced in 1987 that HIV doesn't cause AIDS. "He lost everything," said one insider. Duesberg switched to cancer research, and is now touted to win a Nobel Prize.

Dutchman
Unregistered

#100733 - 07/03/04 07:08 AM

Hello Anonymous,

I say it's all but logical to get HIV infected from a one-time episode of unsafe vaginal intercourse with a woman of unknown status, but not impossible and it's never worth the bet of course. Besides that there are plenty of other STD's out there, some really serious like Hep B which you must also protect yourself for. But for an indication multiply the chance that you meet someone who is HIV-infected with the chance for the virus to be transmitted with a one time vaginal intercourse. In general population outside Africa (high-risk groups excluded) the chance in general will be something like 0,01*0,0005*100%= 0,0005% (or 1:200000.) But it's just statistic, because in a particular case the chances can increase to much higher levels if there are special circumstances, like: one or both have other STD('s) already, the other is in the window period and so has high viral load and is mega-infectious, one has injury on genitals and many more (unknown) factors.

So it depends on what you call extreme unlikely. We may never forget that for everyone of us it's possible to catch HIV if we engage in unsafe sex with someone of unknow status. No matter if you're gay or not, if you're a man or woman, if you are from Monaco or Zimbabwe...

But yes, also for you: the chance to just find out you're OK is incredibly high. Good decision to test. Take a lesson of it and play always safe from now on.

Best regards,
Dutchman

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100735 - 07/03/04 08:38 AM

I mean all your symtomps are stress related. Take the test you will be NEG. D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100738 - 07/03/04 01:39 PM

I had a question about the article that was posted from the NY Post. It said that if a man did not have any std's and had sex with a drug free woman, his chance of contracting the disease would be 1 in 5 million. I know that if you are exchanging needles with a known carrier, it's an extremely high risk, but why would a drug user pose a greater risk through vaginal sex. Are they just saying that the likelihood a drug user would have hiv is higher? I'm a little confused.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1608

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3